Windows XP - 1 week to go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
For those of you still running XP - do you have any plans to update your OS before April 8th?

Yes just making a full move over to OSX ..... about time!

Windows XP was Microsoft's last great OS! :(

^ Do you really want to know? After XP I hate it. Obstructive bloody thing and the Live Mail client that came with it...WELL!!!:wallbash::wallbash:

Use the enterprise version if you don't want all that. XP was good but can't make use of todays technology.

Win7 is good if you know how to use it. Win8 = pile of dog poo aimed at idiots that only want the basics.

Im going Linux for interwebing, but not sure which yet, I really must get round to doing a bit more research on the matter. Untill then strict security and not many websites! Keeping XP for offline stuff.

My laptop still runs XP, so I will update to Win7 at some stage, but seeing as my only concern now is virus support, I'm in no hurry. Our other laptop and both desktops run Win7, the best OS ever.

Upgrade to Windows 7 would be my recommendation or go for something completely different like Chrome or OSX, depending on what the computer will be used for.

XP will get increasingly prone to vulnerabilities after April 8th with each and every subsequent patch of Windows 7 upwards as the kernel remains the same.

Got a complete version of Windows 3.1.1 here if anyone wants to try it?

On genuine Microsoft floppies, along with MS-DOS 6.2 as the base for it. :)

3 x DOS disks, 8 for the Windows.

Also just found MS-DOS 5 while I was rooting about.

Must learn to throw stuff out...

I haven't used a Microsoft OS at home since 2005, and since I changed jobs and no longer have any responsibility for IT the death of XP is a matter of supreme indifference.. :)

Cheers,

Gaz

If you are hardcore and want to continue using XP, you could run Firefox or some such browser which is up to date, instead of IE8 which also wont be supported either like XP, and ensure you don't host email actually on the machine i.e. use web-based service.

Also, set yourself up a 'Standard / Restricted User' just for browsing instead of using the default administrator-equivalent user.

It won't get rid of the problem as hackers use loopholes but you minimise the chances of getting stung so easily.

Personally, I've upgraded our company to Windows 7 as I wouldn't take the risk myself.

If your machine does not have anything important on it and is on a network on its own, you could take a punt and see how long it lasts before it is brought down...

Got a complete version of Windows 3.1.1 here if anyone wants to try it?

On genuine Microsoft floppies, along with MS-DOS 6.2 as the base for it. :)

3 x DOS disks, 8 for the Windows.

Also just found MS-DOS 5 while I was rooting about.

Must learn to throw stuff out...

God... Reminds me once when I, ahem, made a backup copy of Office 4.3 on floppy. I think it was 30 floppies.

If you are hardcore and want to continue using XP, you could run Firefox or some such browser which is up to date, instead of IE8 which also wont be supported either like XP.

IE8 is scheduled to have continued support until 2020.

In fact, you have until May 8th to get off it because I understand patches will be released on April 8th. It won't be until May 8th that the punks will be reverse-engineering the next set of patches to see what holes there are in XP.

IE8 is scheduled to have continued support until 2020.

On Windows 7 it will.

On Windows XP and Windows Vista, support for IE8 will die when support for the operating systems dies.

Didn't OSX Snow Leopard go end of support quite ungloriously?

I'm quite impressed Microsoft kept XP support going for so long...

OS X Tiger(10.4), which was retired from support in September 2009, only had 4 years of "life". XP has had what... 12 years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom