Windows XP Security - Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have to support Mac OS X and whilst I don't have an issue using it, it does go EOL quick and I am often using the shell to do anything important as you can't do it in the graphical interface.

That and the fact out of the 4 we have, 3 have had major technical failures and a duff screen, 1 iMac more than once, in the last 3 years compared to bugger all similar failures (2 PSUs I think and a handful of hard disks) in an estate of around 70 Dell/HP computers over 6 years.

Windows 7 is still very similar to XP and a lot faster (booting in particular) in real life.

Well, I've thought about it, and I suppose I'd better upgrade to Windows 7. My current computer - almost ten years old, so it doesn't owe me any money at all - is a Dell Dimension 2400 P4 2.8 GHZ/533FSB, with an 80 GB hard drive and 1.5 mb RAM. The RAM COULD be upgraded to 2 mb, but not more. Is it worth installing Win7 on this mschine, or would I be better to replace it?

I'm minded to stick with Dell, because of the long and faithful service I've had with this one. There's lots of "new other" (ie not new) and refurbished (ditto) Windows 7 stuff on eBay, but I'm not sure I want anything other than a new one. On the other hand, they're filthy cheap...

I'm sorry, I don't know how to post links to eBay. I'm looking at items 181241758571, 261466756345 and 141266879344. Does anyone have any views? Can anyone recommend a better alternative (please be specific...)?

Gentlemen, over to you.

Max ram I assume you meant 2gb and not 2mb? 4gb seems to be the real bare minimum but it will run on 2gb

Well, I've thought about it, and I suppose I'd better upgrade to Windows 7. My current computer - almost ten years old, so it doesn't owe me any money at all - is a Dell Dimension 2400 P4 2.8 GHZ/533FSB, with an 80 GB hard drive and 1.5 mb RAM. The RAM COULD be upgraded to 2 mb, but not more. Is it worth installing Win7 on this mschine, or would I be better to replace it?

I'm minded to stick with Dell, because of the long and faithful service I've had with this one. There's lots of "new other" (ie not new) and refurbished (ditto) Windows 7 stuff on eBay, but I'm not sure I want anything other than a new one. On the other hand, they're filthy cheap...

I'm sorry, I don't know how to post links to eBay. I'm looking at items 181241758571, 261466756345 and 141266879344. Does anyone have any views? Can anyone recommend a better alternative (please be specific...)?

Gentlemen, over to you.

If you are keen on Dell, why not take a look at their own "refurbished" outlet?

Last edited:
Which software will you need to run on your next computer?

Mark, you're quite right - GB not mb. Doh...http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif

Piff, thanks for that, will do. Edit -- have done; the desktops are all Windows 8, and much more competent than I need.

Bobbydazzler, thank you. I use:

Browser - Google Chrome

email - Microsoft Outlook

Security - Microsoft Security Essentials

My WIS is XP-only, so I'd need a new one. The rest all runs on XP, so probably would be OK on Win7. If not, I'm sure it could be sorted with updated versions- I've got nothing fancy or special. I don't play games online, or watch fillums, or stream music, nor do I plan to do so.

Last edited:
The three you've posted:
This one I agree is cheap at around £100.
Windows 7 Dell Dual Core 5.6GHz 4GB 500GB DVD Desktop PC Computer 1Year warranty | eBay

These, I reckon you can get from dell direct for roughly the same price (new with warranty)
New Dell OptiPlex 3010 PC, New Dell Keyboard & Mouse and New Dell 17" Monitor | eBay

Dell OptiPlex 3010 SFF Desktop i3-3240 3.4GHz + 5yr NBD warranty - 12 available | eBay

For £300 dell have this: Inspiron 3000 Desktop Details | Dell UK Only problem is, it's windows 8.

I would personally try to look for something with 6gb of RAM rather than 4, if only too give you some breathing room. 4 Should be enough. Processor, when running office and a browser won't matter much, just get at least 2 cores. HDD space, the smallest seem to be 500gb, which will be more than you need unless you plan on storing pictures.

If looking at refurbished units, I would look for one with windows7 built in. The jump from winXP to win8 isn't that nice.

Argos have a few:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Brows...ting+system|Microsoft+Windows+7+Premium|1.htm

M.

Spinal, thank you very much for that. I'm becoming tempted by the super-cheapie, despite the fact that it is refurbished. For that money, it's throw-away cheap, and Dell have a good reputation for reliability, and the seller has almost all very good reviews. It's only 4GB memory, but as I've been managing with only 1.5GB, that should be enough to keep me happy....

I've looked at the Argos site, but I've never heard of Zoostorm,, and there's not much about them in reviews on t'internet. I'm wary.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply; much appreciated. My tech-savvy nephew is in Peru at the moment, so can't help...

Zoostorm use generic parts, but name brands like Asus, Gigabyte etc.

Thank you one and all. I've gone for the super-cheapie off t' 'Bay. Hope I don't regret it.

Oh, and mods, I didn't realise there was a PC/IT sub-forum, or I would have posted this there. Sorry.

4GB will be plenty.

From a certain point, more memory just allows you to run more side by side but even then it won't struggle.

Thank you one and all. I've gone for the super-cheapie off t' 'Bay. Hope I don't regret it.

Oh, and mods, I didn't realise there was a PC/IT sub-forum, or I would have posted this there. Sorry.

Let us know how you get on with Windows 8 ;)

Let us know how you get on with Windows 8 ;)

I'm getting on ok.........
One or two issues with drivers (Buffalo NAS took an e-mail to sort & brother printer hasn't settled down yet, possibly needs new driver).
But overall, it's quick to start, old style desk top was easily accessible from the tile layout, but for some reason, now starts with old style desktop first & I have to select the tile layout if I want it.
Went for 64 bit so now a bit more memory is accessible.
One antique program doesn't work but I've got an old lappy with XP which I don't need to connect to the interweb so that should suffice.

First zero-day exploit is being fixed by Microsoft for those running IE8 on Windows XP so you would have been OK.

However, others will come and will probably not be fixed I would guess.

Mark, you're quite right - GB not mb. Doh...http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif

Piff, thanks for that, will do. Edit -- have done; the desktops are all Windows 8, and much more competent than I need.

Bobbydazzler, thank you. I use:

Browser - Google Chrome

email - Microsoft Outlook

Security - Microsoft Security Essentials

My WIS is XP-only, so I'd need a new one. The rest all runs on XP, so probably would be OK on Win7. If not, I'm sure it could be sorted with updated versions- I've got nothing fancy or special. I don't play games online, or watch fillums, or stream music, nor do I plan to do so.

If you don't use any other software then I would use the online version of WIS and get either of the two below:
Samsung Chromebook 2 (XE503C32) | Samsung Chromebooks
ASUS Chromebox - Experience the Best Chrome OS Desktop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom