Windscreen crack - rain sensor query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RKS

Car
C180
Hi, I'm new to this forum and haven't been able to find an answer to my query so apologies if this has already been asked before!

I have a C180 AMG sport and recently my windscreen has cracked. My insurance company will replace this (through autoglass), with an excess fee of £100.

What I'm unsure of is how does this impact the rain sensors in the car? I'm not too sure where these are located, so would appreciate if someone could shed light on this and if I would then need to get rain sensors fitted (and any idea of costs?)

Thanks!

Normally they ask if your windscreen has auto lights/wiper function in which case the new screen comes with the unit attached………..at least it was the case on my Saab. It was a simple unplug and plug in situation with the cover being transferred from old to new.
Someone will be along to support or counter in due course.

I've had my S204 screen replaced twice in the last 12 months by AA Windscreens, all sensors still work as they seem to be in the rear view mirror casing and the fitter knew exactly what to do.

I had problems when the screen was replaced on our Vito ... it ended up at a dealer to get the auto lights working again (which the windscreen company reimbursed me for). The rain sensor was OK though.

The new glass will come with a new mount fixed to it; the sensor is simply unclipped (from the old screen) and clipped back on to the new once it's fitted.

I would, however, insist on genuine OEM glass. If they try and say that they're all the same they're wrong.

Windscreen Manufacturers ? What do they Really Mean? | Glasstec Paul

Also, unless your policy states otherwise, you should not be paying a supplement for an OEM either. Even on the cheap and cheerful policies like Admiral will allow an OEM part (based on the car's age).

Normally they ask if your windscreen has auto lights/wiper function in which case the new screen comes with the unit attached……….

The last two times I have had a screen replaced, AutoGlass have merely asked for the registration number of the car. From this they were able to tell / confirm to me that I had auto wipers, blue tint, green top tint, etc.

My one tip is to leave the vehicle in situ - whether at home or at the fitting centre - for 24 hours to allow the bonding to fully cure. If you drive straight off and immediately hit a huge pot hole you can dislodge the screen (I was told once by a fitter - I don't know how true it is, but I adhere to this rule).

leave the vehicle in situ - whether at home or at the fitting centre - for 24 hours to allow the bonding to fully cure. If you drive straight off and immediately hit a huge pot hole you can dislodge the screen (I was told once by a fitter - I don't know how true it is, but I adhere to this rule).

Safe Drive Away Times (SDAT) are usually around two hours (airbag dependent). These times are determined - in tests - by deploying an airbag against the fitted windscreen (as well as rigorous crash test scenarios).

What the fitter told you may have been true about 20 years ago. Plus, not many fitters in the trade know what they're talking about.

Thanks all for your replies - much appreciated!

Looks like there shouldn't be an issue with the sensors then. I'll check that it is OEM glass as well
Thanks!

I had problems when the screen was replaced on our Vito ... it ended up at a dealer to get the auto lights working again (which the windscreen company reimbursed me for). The rain sensor was OK though.

The Sprinter, Vito, A and B Class use a very different sensor module. It is a round unit, about 45mm in diameter. The problems start from when the windscreen is changed; it wither loses sensitivity or stops working altogether. The reason for this is they (the shonky fitters) remove the sensor unit which is clipped against the glass with a gel between the two surfaces. When the new screen is fitted, they clip the sensor back on which no longer has the gel coating on it.

In some cases, if the ignition is turned on with the sensor disconnected, it can register as a fault.

Interesting, it was Auto Windscreens that I had the problem with on the Vito but that was 4 years ago and I think they're basically a different company now.

They went bust, and were picked out of the Biffa bin by an insurance company.

Word around the campfire is that they've laid off a load of staff again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom