Windscreen cracked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonoF1amg

Car
Mercedes C220 BlueTEC Sport
Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice regarding windscreeen replacements?

Travelling down the motorway today and a stone has caused a large crack on the bottom of the windscreen.

The car is still under warranty (just over 2 years old) if that makes any difference and I want a genuine MB OEM replacement for it.

Whats the best way of getting an MB OEM screen fitted?

I live in Nottingham.

Not spoken to my insurance company or MB Nottingham yet.

I dont want an inferior screen fitted.

Any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

The car is a W205 C220 BlueTEC Sport

Thanks

Jono

Check what it says on your insurance papers, about how you should proceed. They may name one of the automotive glass places as their preferred supplier.

Usually, the main automotive glass places will fit original makers screens (if you make that clear) and they do the paperwork with the insurance company. You just pay any "glass excess" to the glass company.

I think Autoglass said that OEM screens are normally fitted within a certain period of a car coming out and then aftermarket ones.

MB don't make screens so they will be effectively using aftermarket anyway.

I think my previous car had a Solartex with MB badge and that was the aftermarket they fitted without the badge so no difference apart from a meaningless badge!

First off, check your insurance policy to check you have windscreen cover and what the excess is.
Then ring your insurance company and make a claim.
In my case, I got a call back within minutes from the company doing the repair
Nationwide Windscreen Services, Leicester.

A few details were taken, Vin#, registration number which was confirmed online as an 2004 E55 AMG. Getting these details correct ensures you will have the correct screen loaded on the fitters van when he arrives to do the job.

The quality of work will depend entirely on the experience and skill of the fitter you get. I was lucky and had a great guy with 30yrs windscreen fitting expeience behind him who showed me exactly what he was doing at all stages.

Your wipers and plastic scuttle below the wiper mechanism will be removed and refitted and the rain sensor should remain as it was before the new screen goes in.
I had a Pilkington screen with the correct tint fitted which is perfect. The only difference (according to the fitter) to an OEM screen is there is no MB logo on the bottom left where the Vin# is displayed. Apart from that, you wouldn't know.
If you insist on OEM, there is a strong possibility you will have to foot a proportion of the cost on top of the excess. My screen would have cost £779 from MB.
I paid £65 excess and got an identical one that is perfect.

Yes exactly what Roger said.... I had the same Pilkington glass fit, fitter was perfectionist taping up all leading edges as not do damage any paintwork! Everything worked didn't need Star to recode anything

The most important thing is to give the right vin number so you get the right screen I had one changed last year,as posted no problems if you get a experienced fitter,you get possible problems if you have a high spec car with say heated wipers and other exotic things,the rain sensor is no problem.

Do you have a multifunction camera in the screen ? If you do then the fitter won't be able to recalibrate the camera and you will have to go to a dealer for a reset.
I would insist on a genuine screen fitted by the dealer, the insurance company may let you pay and claim it back from them.

Windscreen

Hi,

I would like to thank all members for there input it has been really useful.

Having spoken to my insurance company they have agreed without hesitation to have the screen replaced by the Mercedes dealership in Nottingham.

I spoke to Mercedes prior and they gave me a fully fitted price of £423.00

So it's now booked in and all I pay is my £40.00 excess.

It appears I have a good insurance company with no quibble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom