Windscreen replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyinspanner

MB Enthusiast
Car
A209 320CLK (CL500 & W168 sold)
Hi
Not the Merc, but the answer will no doubt apply to all modern vehicles inc MBs.

Wife's Swift windscreen has cracked following a stone hit. Autoglass (via insurer) want to pop and fit it. On the driveway, now, with this freezing cold weather, will the seal cure properly, or will I get problems 'down the road'.

They have no facility to fit it inside a warm workshop.

They have said "if it's too cold we will cancel and re-book..... so maybe still no car?

How safe to use with a horizontal crack side to side about 100mm (4 in) from base of window? If she just needed to go local shops? - as I'm away to Dubai Friday am, (hopefully they fix it Friday but I won't be around.)

I would say it is not safe to use and Autoglass do have centres you can take the car to. When I have used them, we live well off the beaten track, they suggested I might take it to a "local" centre. Was about a 60 mile round trip so I said no.

That must have been some stone :eek:

The problem with laminated windscreens, is that if the crack is hit by another stone, shards of glass can shoot out of the inner layer, VERY nasty, sadly, as Marku says, not safe to drive.

They recently replaced my windscreen km a heavy snow day -2C at colliers wood workshop in London. I had no issues with the windscreen and as far as I know the workshop door was wide open and the car was under snow for days.
As long as the glue sticks the first 35 minutes and you don't take the car for a wash the first 24 hours then everything should be OK

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

We once had a windscreen fitted in the winter during a trip abroad and the temperature was -17C. It was done in a workshop where the temperature was barely above zero. We had no issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom