Winter prep for my w124 e320 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michaelk3289

Car
2007 W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde
Hi Guys i have just had a lube service and gearbox servivce on my 94 e320 estate

what other jobs can be done and what shoould be checked to assist it through the winter

many thanks

Michael

If you don't know how old the battery is getting it load tested might be an idea if it's your only car/the one you rely on.
Getting it up on stands and having a good poke around with a view to undersealing/waxoiling any vunerable bits like for example brake/fuel/suspension hard lines (obviously no need if they've been replaced with cuni). Check coolant strength if it wasn't changed as part of the service/recently. Stocking up with a decent screenwash now obviously makes more sense than having to buy **** stuff at a petrol garage after running out/finding out the summer mix has frozen. Giving it a good wax will make it easier to wash the winter crud off

Agree with all the above. Clean out the rear wheel arch lips and if you can remove the front wing liners and clean inside the wings. They trap all sorts of muck. Add in a good dose of salt and the wings will rot quickly. A healthy coat of waxoyl, dinitrol or similar would be a good idea. Ours was fine in the snow last year on 15 inch wheels with summer tyres.

Rain channels need clearing too. Leaf grunge down there can lead to all sorts of grief.

Stories of water seeping into fuse boxes are not uncommon as the water cannot get away down the channels.

Also the water runoffs under the rear "wings" need to be clear. again it stops water lodging in the "wells" Whilst you're at it do the front ones too.

Edit.
Mr Walker's Boys:thumb: fitted me a new battery tray today. The old original one was corroded through and it was manky as hell underneath.

Last edited:
A quick bump as i've just had to deal with another potential weak point (for w124 estates at least) that an occasional clean and wax/underseal would have prevented or at least delayed

The area where the fuel filler pipe meets the tank is right in the firing line of crap thrown up by the o/s rear wheel and sure enough mine started leaking recently (well the leak became noticable from the slight whiff of petrol and the wrinkled up paint made a good substitute for X marks the spot). It's not like the area was covered in stone chips as from a cursory look the tank had appeared pretty clean the last time i was under the car but moisture had gotten under the coating and after dropping the tank and cleaning it up i was faced with this...

Attachments

• PB020519.jpg
    PB020519.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom