Winter sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
My wife is working all over Christmas and New Year so a half term holiday is on the cards.

Goa, Dubai and Florida are too far for a week so where else can I find decent weather in Feb that won't break the bank.

+1 for Canaries.

I particularly like the Reveron Plaza Hotel, in Los Cristianos, Tenerife. Low cost flight and a short taxi journey - and a nice small hotel with rooftop pool, great breakfast and lots of places to eat out in a quiet-ish town.

+2 Tenerife
flying from stanstead approx four and a half hours.

We did Morocco last year in the summer.
Marrakesh - hot & sunny
Mountains - a bit cooler but sunny
Coast - grey

Gambia's worth a look.

Check the political situation right now, not so good

My recommendation is Go to Marrakech and stay in the Medina

Lovely in Feb, but obviously not now

If you are OK with a 10 hr flight then yes south Africa is a really good choice as there's no jetlag and the value is superb

Coincidentally me and the wife are heading to the Canaries tomorrow, a newish hotel with great reviews, mostly from Germans. Although it's an upmarket place, am nonetheless expecting to see a lot of towels on deckchairs! I'm prepared to move the towels off though (and handle the international incident!) if we're in need of a seat.

We also looked at Madeira, the Azores, Malta, Turkey but avoided North Africa (inc Cap Vert, Morocco, etc) because of the troubles over the last couple of years.

Thanks for the answers.

We are looking at the Canaries but it will be a good hotel and hopefully away from stag/hen/football shirts & tarts. Cape Verde is interesting and a friend is there now. Don't fancy Morocco and Feb in Greece can be bloody cold.

Thanks for the answers.

We are looking at the Canaries but it will be a good hotel and hopefully away from stag/hen/football shirts & tarts. Cape Verde is interesting and a friend is there now. Don't fancy Morocco and Feb in Greece can be bloody cold.
There are a few hotels like that here and we're staying in one. It's on its own between two groups of complexes, on the south side of Fuertaventura. First impressions are it's very modern, vast, adults only, designed for couples, beautiful if marble/stone floors and minimalist design is your thing, apparently great food (there was just a minimalist cold buffet as the shuttle arrived late last night), with mostly Germans and some Brits.
Went for the Canaries as it was warmer than the usual European sun spots.
And on the subject of the Canaries, they are a mere 100km off Africa and Spain wouldn't return them to, say, Morocco. So Argentina and their supporters should understand the Falklands being 400km off Patagonia, is even more off limits! [emoji730]

Don't discount mainland Spain, though ideally not the coastal resorts.

Seville is a beautiful city and, whilst not guaranteed, has always been warm in January and February when I've been there. Their airport is somewhat limited though I think Ryan Air have direct flights from Stansted. Having said that, it's only a two - two and a half hour drive from either Malaga or Faro, and a car is a bonus when there as you can get around to lots of good places within an hour or so.

Cities are no good for this holiday as our 11 year old is coming hence the break during half term. We need beachy, pool type stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom