Winter Tyre Pressures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SapphireSkye

Car
C240 Elegance Estate
Hi Everyone

Can anyone advise, if Tyre pressures should be changed for winter temperatures

i usually put 33 in the front tyres and 41 in the back tyres

I hope this isnt a stupid question :bannana:

I dont,although surely 41 is the pressure for fully loaded,do you mostly run fully loaded ? I my experience from racing days the only time we ran on lower pressures was when on squelchy muddy shale tracks.

I can only assume from the manuals for most cars I have had, that pressures are dependent on load and speed, not temperature.

Manuals I have seen have never referred to different (higher or lower) pressures for colder temperatures.

The only point that I can think of to take into mind is that pressures will drop a little in colder temperatures, so you may need to put in a little air to accommodate this small difference. 30 psi in summer may equate to something like 25psi in the middle of winter...

Hi Everyone

I don't usually run mine at that high a pressure unless fully loaded, as the ride gets too harsh

Hi Everyone

Be logical. Does it say so in the manual? No? Then no.

I wonder if in heavy slushy conditions you can treat it like mud and reduce the pressures?

I can only assume from the manuals for most cars I have had, that pressures are dependent on load and speed, not temperature.

Manuals I have seen have never referred to different (higher or lower) pressures for colder temperatures.

The only point that I can think of to take into mind is that pressures will drop a little in colder temperatures, so you may need to put in a little air to accommodate this small difference. 30 psi in summer may equate to something like 25psi in the middle of winter...
That about sums the physics up - pressures should be the same, but in winter you will need a greater mass of air to achieve the same pressures.

And as bennesspipers says why are you running the fully loaded pressures all the time? Sounds like a great way to wear the centers of the rear tyres out.

41psi bloody hell thats high:eek:
What size tyres are you running?

Lynall

OMG !!! thanks so much, I just didnt know but thankyou all for the advice.... Sorry for the delayed response, but ive had computer problems also ...thankfully im so ignorant with them as I appear to be about my car :)

Thankyou all once again
Peace
Skye

If you look inside your fuel filler lid you might find a 'tyre pressure chart'

"Manuals I have seen have never referred to different (higher or lower) pressures for colder temperatures."

I would confirm that from experience with a couple of dozen cars.

As bennesspipers says, your definitive source is the label on the fuel filler flap. Depart from those figures at your peril -- tyres are a primary safety component.

41psi in the rear tyres not a good idea unless you have it fully loaded. Must feel a bit harsh & maybe skittish at times and as stated will wear out the centre quicker.

Stick to the same inflation pressure as for summer tyres unless either the manual or tyre maker suggests otherwise. In terms of temperature variations, words of wisdom from Michelin:

"Ambient temperature has an affect on tyre pressure. As the temperature drops, so the tyre pressure registered on a pressure gauge decreases.

For example, if a tyre is inflated to 2 bar (29psi) at an ambient temperature of 20°C, the pressure may only read 1.8 bar (26psi) at an ambient temperature of 0°C.

Your tyre pressures should be set to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations for the conditions in which you are driving. So, if your tyre pressures are reading low when you check them in a low outside temperature, then re-inflate them to the vehicle manufacturers’ recommendations.

Our advice:

When setting your pressures with cold tyres (tyre temperature at the outside ambient temperature), set them to the vehicle manufacturers’ recommended pressures.

In winter, if you set your pressures in a warm garage or workshop, add 0.2 bar (3psi) to the vehicle manufacturers’ recommended pressures to compensate for the 'cold temperature' effect to ensure that whilst on the road you run at the correct pressures."

Inflating tyres in winter

(Which rather obviously means deflating them a bit if it warms up after a cold spell.)

Last edited:
check out this site - Search for your Tyre Pressure by Manufacturer

gives you the correct psi for all models normal and loaded

Manufacturer:MercedesModel:C Class 2.4 C240 EstateYear:98 - On Standard Front Tyre Pressure:30 psi Standard Rear Tyre Pressure:34 psiLoaded / Speed Front Tyre Pressure:34 psiLoaded / Speed Rear Tyre Pressure:40 psi

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom