Winter wheel ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry, but I don't see the need for winter tyres. We have had cars for 100+ years and for most of that time they've had inflateable tyres, which were used at any time in the year - suddenly we have to have winter tyres? Perhaps tyre manufacturers have made their products last too long, which affects profits? Also we are (mostly) in the UK, we don't have sub zero temperatures very often, and normally when we do, we tend not to drive -or why not try the method I was taught - if the road conditions warrant it, slow down and leave a greater stopping distance? (wait for the screams!)

I believe winter tyres are designed to maximise grips at anything below 7 degrees - not sub zero. And wheels are bigger, tyres wider, and compounds designed to be softer at normal temperatures - all of which leads them to be less grippy in cold temperatures than they have been in the past.

The human race has also survived for many years without nuclear weapons, AIDs and political correctness etc - your point, in relation to winter tyres, is?
You win

See what I mean about the screams?

I agree with you. I've been driving 27 years without winter tyres with no issues. As you say, take more care and attention as required. I'd never try to convince anyone against winter tyres, it's personal choice and down to the individual. Likewise, I don't expect to be convinced they are essential.

I agree with you. I've been driving 27 years without winter tyres with no issues. As you say, take more care and attention as required. I'd never try to convince anyone against winter tyres, it's personal choice and down to the individual. Likewise, I don't expect to be convinced they are essential.

65c7c52a6367c3d63bce5fdce7446422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I have never bought winter tyres,I have always lived in a area of this country which receives very little snow,it has been 5 years since we had two inches of the white stuff,I would if I lived in area that gets this sort of weather buy a 4x4,I am still not sure that winter tyres would bring much protection,because what happens in ice and snow is that people just do not drive to the conditions,many do not seem to know what to do,it is like a collective madness takes over,they seem to take the view that I always take 25mins to make this trip and I will not take any longer just because there is snow or ice,many drivers are just too heavy on the loud pedal,in those conditions,many do not use a much lower gear going down hill to help brake the vehicle ,but hey I am retired now so if it snows all you guys can enjoy yourself out there,me I will make snowballs with the grandchildren.

Well I have never bought winter tyres,I have always lived in a area of this country which receives very little snow,it has been 5 years since we had two inches of the white stuff,I would if I lived in area that gets this sort of weather buy a 4x4,I am still not sure that winter tyres would bring much protection

This exactly the problem that shows how little people understand winter tyres.
If you bought a 4x4 for this weather, and unless it had winter tyres also, you would get a surprise when every rear wheel drive car with winter tyres had more traction in a straight line than your 4x4 and they could also steer & brake in perfect safety unlike a 4x4 on summer tyres which will steer & brake like any other car on snow, i.e. zero traction.

Russ

Well, just tried out my Michelin CrossClimates on this little flurry of snow we have and they are only just about ok on the flat, but still useless on hills. No substitute for real snow designed equipment: snow tyres, snow socks, chains, and a shovel

I had never fitted Winter tyres to any of my cars until Wednesday. Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3d..............ab brilliant. When many around us had stopped we weaved between abandoned cars on a moderate hill. No noisier IMHO but the economy is down maybe 5-10%. Now it may not snow like today for many years but they were great today & enabled me to get home when I would have been otherwise stranded.

I'm sure that tyre manufacturers can (and do) make tyres with a softer compound that gives better cold weather grip, I just see this as a 'more profit' action by them, the cost alone will preclude me getting a full set of tyres, which will wear quicker than all weather ones (let alone the cost of another set of wheels) when the only thing needed is more care in the manner of your driving.
Another thought, in 26 years in the job I never saw the police fit winter tyres on ANY of their vehicles, and I don't think the Ambulance service or Fire Service do either,nor do the Post Office or HGV firms - funny that if they are so necessary to road safety?

I'm sure that tyre manufacturers can (and do) make tyres with a softer compound that gives better cold weather grip, I just see this as a 'more profit' action by them, the cost alone will preclude me getting a full set of tyres, which will wear quicker than all weather ones (let alone the cost of another set of wheels) when the only thing needed is more care in the manner of your driving.

You really don't understand any of this do you?
Winter tyres are not made with a softer compound to give better grip, they use a high silica compound and tread pattern with sipes etc to do that. They do not wear out faster than all season or summer tyres, in fact I find winter tyres last far longer than my summer tyres. You misguidedly see it as more profit, whereas I see it as safety. When summer tyres have absolutely zero grip and cannot even get your car off your driveway & onto the road, how does taking more care in your driving help? You have a very cynical view on something that has so many merits it is required to be used by law in so many countries around the world in winter, or are they all fooled by the tyre companies too?

Russ

I believe winter tyres are designed to maximise grips at anything below 7 degrees - not sub zero. And wheels are bigger, tyres wider, and compounds designed to be softer at normal temperatures - all of which leads them to be less grippy in cold temperatures than they have been in the past.

So the problem I had was that it just wasn’t cold enough for the CrossClimate tyres to work as tested? Unlucky I guess, I was expecting better performance on the snow/ice.

So the problem I had was that it just wasn’t cold enough for the CrossClimate tyres to work as tested? Unlucky I guess, I was expecting better performance on the snow/ice.

I've seen a few reviews and tests on CrossClimates, although suitable for all year use and they do pass the test for the "snowflake on the mountain winter" tyre qualification, they do struggle in more extreme snow where a proper winter tyre will easily get you through. Having said that, they probably are better in summer than a proper winter tyre is too. All tyres are a compromise no matter what they are designed for.

Russ

I will openly admit to having not used winter tyres personally and as yet I won't say that I have needed to. I'm based down in Surrey so really poor weather has been minimal by comparison. Thing is I commute by train so it's Southern Rail who need to get themselves some bloody winter tyres haha

Jokes aside though, I'd love to try some out in snow. I think for icy/rainy winter driving, normal tyres have been sufficient. I haven't ever got stuck anywhere fortunately. Even in last years bout of snow my other half got her SL home despite it being slippery.

But, I have just purchased a pair of snow socks for my E Class as if I am in such a situation where I need to try and get through some snow, I have seen these in action and they work very well. Helpfully they arrived just as the snow melted. :)

Another thought, in 26 years in the job I never saw the police fit winter tyres on ANY of their vehicles, and I don't think the Ambulance service or Fire Service do either,nor do the Post Office or HGV firms - funny that if they are so necessary to road safety?

Every post you make on this subject gets further away from reality.
Keep going it brightens my day up! :D:D:D:D

Seeing as how useless wide, low profile tyres on rear-wheel drive with auto gearbox and stiff suspension are in cold slippery conditions, I've been contemplating getting winter tyres.

Apart from the cost, I'm unsure about which rims to use. I've never been one for messing about with wheels, so some pointers would be appreciated.

Our car came with optional 19" rims, but is also available with 18" as standard fitment. So I was wondering (on the basis of the 1" smaller than standard fitment), whether a set of non-staggered 17" rims would be right. The non-staggered bit comes from the recommendation that was in the handbook for our R171, which indicated non-staggered for winter rims.

Rad- & Reifenkombinationen
then click "Zulässige Rad- und Reifenkombinationen." Permissible wheel and tyre combinations.

That link has all the official AMG and Mercedes wheel and tyre combinations for your cars.

the trade off between small to larger wheels is mainly aesthetics vs cost.
Often the smallest sizes are available as steel wheels.
Most of the time (check the documents) M+S fitments are suggested as square (non-staggered).
Just as most of the time, wider rear wheels are just an option.

I'm happy to help translate specific aspects of the documents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom