Winter wheel ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
as an aside, I have a W169 with 15" steel wheels and Conti Winter Contact TS810s on for the Winter and 16" MB alloys with Pirelli P1 Cinturato Verde for Summer.

Winter wheelsets are a small price to pay for a huge increase in safety. The initial outlay is mitigated against both saving wear/corrosion on Summer wheels (many of which are high sheen and don't fare well with salt and Winter conditions) and the resale value afterwards.

Shop around and you will find good Genuine MB and AMG wheels from suppliers that know exactly what they're talking about when it comes to fitments. If you're clear about budget then there are good OEM brands like Borbet available for very low prices.

Last edited:
Seeing as how useless wide, low profile tyres on rear-wheel drive with auto gearbox and stiff suspension are in cold slippery conditions, I've been contemplating getting winter tyres.

Apart from the cost, I'm unsure about which rims to use. I've never been one for messing about with wheels, so some pointers would be appreciated.

Our car came with optional 19" rims, but is also available with 18" as standard fitment. So I was wondering (on the basis of the 1" smaller than standard fitment), whether a set of non-staggered 17" rims would be right. The non-staggered bit comes from the recommendation that was in the handbook for our R171, which indicated non-staggered for winter rims.

225/50/17 all round would be your best bet.
This site will give you an idea of what is available from MB:
https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/tires-wheels-light-alloy-rims-mercedes-benz-c-class-w205.htm

You really don't understand any of this do you?
Winter tyres are not made with a softer compound to give better grip, they use a high silica compound and tread pattern with sipes etc to do that. They do not wear out faster than all season or summer tyres, in fact I find winter tyres last far longer than my summer tyres. You misguidedly see it as more profit, whereas I see it as safety. When summer tyres have absolutely zero grip and cannot even get your car off your driveway & onto the road, how does taking more care in your driving help? You have a very cynical view on something that has so many merits it is required to be used by law in so many countries around the world in winter, or are they all fooled by the tyre companies too?

I'm afraid I don't understand - all my research on this matter shows winter tyres being made with a 'softer' compound ie rubber, and slica has a mohr value of 7.0 (ie harder?) also the research shows that they do wear out quicker, due to their relative softness - I'll maintain my cynical view thanks

Every post you make on this subject gets further away from reality.
Keep going it brightens my day up! :D:D:D:D

Keep your brighter day - the real world is where the rest of us are

You also get 10mm tread on Winter tyres vs 8mm on Summer, so 30% more useful life

GeeJayW, Ive checked the MB doc and you'll need minimum:
17x7ET48.5 with 2255017-94H for your S205 C250d AMG. Always good to check against the VIN though.
All the OE MB wheels are also here Mercedes C Class Estate Alloys (S205) - Alloy Wheels Direct

I have these. Very easy to clean!!
17" Mercedes 5 Spoke wheels in 7X45 Vanadium Silver - Alloy Wheels Direct (3885387)

Much cheaper from the Germans:
Mercedes-Benz 17 inch rims set of | C-Class W205 | 5-spoke wheel | vanadium silver

I guess they shift boxes rather than offer a complete wheel/tyre/tpms/fitment service. Wonder what they do for packaging since MB wheel boxes aren't suitable for sending wheels in. Big damage!
Alloy Wheels Direct (me!) pricematch

I guess they shift boxes rather than offer a complete wheel/tyre/tpms/fitment service. Wonder what they do for packaging since MB wheel boxes aren't suitable for sending wheels in. Big damage!
Alloy Wheels Direct (me!) pricematch

They do either. I bought just wheels from them. Came boxed on a pallet from memory.
A friend bought a complete set of wheels/tyres/TPMS last month. Delivery in four days.
No connection to them, but very pleased with their service and pricing.

Apologies for linking to your competitors! :oops:

Competition is good! Pallet makes sense, probably TNT.. I'll factor them into our 2018 pricing. We ship directly from Germany too now..

Thanks for the help guys.
Also found these on Kunzmann:
C-Class W205 snow wheels 17 inch | Genuine Mercedes-Benz

Complete package i.e. Mercedes rims, tyres and TPMS. Now just have to decide if I want to spend a grand on these or just plug about in the Golf when the weather takes a turn for the worst.

Those are nice. In stock at LC Cologne and their margin is 17% for group 69 products. Price should be a touch more at checkout because of charging UK 20% VAT instead of German 19%.

They are nice. I see a white C220 with those on most mornings. The thing that put me off was that MO marked winter tyres are a bit crap compared to the modern stuff.
That's why I bought wheels only and then sourced my own tyres. (Conti TS860).

Do you lot carry a spare wheel?

Complete package i.e. Mercedes rims, tyres and TPMS. Now just have to decide if I want to spend a grand on these or just plug about in the Golf when the weather takes a turn for the worst.

I bought a set of these November 2016 and I'm very pleased with them. I've had no trouble last week and we had it pretty bad as I live in a semi rural location at the bottom of a hill with a council that doesn't believe in gritting.
They also save my 19 inch diamond cut wheels from salt and kerbs.

The way I read the Link the wheels are nearly 5,000 E without delivery :eek:

Anyone got them and how do they look as a replacement for 19 Inch?

If you read the small print, the item is for a set of four complete rims, tyres and TPMS sensors ready to fit. Doesn't include wheel bolts or hub covers.

The poster above you has a set. I'm still getting splinters in my backside. ;)

I've got them fitted, I think they look ok. They definitely don't look as good as the 19 inch ones and tend to make the car look taller.
I bought them to save my 19inch wheels from damage and road salt.
I think I paid about a grand for mine including delivery and they arrived in about four days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom