WMV and MP4 Files for FB and YT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
My camera records videos in a Sony version of AVHD, producing some large files, but I usually edit them using Movie Maker, so end up saving them as either .WMV or MP4.

Here's the stats:

Original file from camera 750MB

Import to Movie Maker and virtually no edit to overall length, just fade in/fade out...

Saved as MP4 = 150MB
Saved as WMV = 300MB

Google seems to think that MP4 files are larger than WMV files for the same item - my file sizes say the reverse :dk:.

But more importantly, is there any playback quality benefit to audio or visual in saving and then uploading (to YT and/or FB) the larger WMV over the smaller MP4 - I understand YT compresses them to it's own format anyway, though I don't know about Facebook :dk:

I'm not bothered about upload time as I tend to leave them overnight.

Ta :thumb:.

Have a look at the resolution and the bitrate, those are the two important bits. The higher the better for quality.

I don't know movie maker, but there should be some info panel to see the info. Make sure you're choosing the highest render quality too. It'll take longer to output the videos.

Save as MP4, it's much better than WMV for quality for a given file size.

Have a look at the resolution and the bitrate, those are the two important bits. The higher the better for quality.

I don't know movie maker, but there should be some info panel to see the info. Make sure you're choosing the highest render quality too. It'll take longer to output the videos.

Save as MP4, it's much better than WMV for quality for a given file size.

The video bitrate is nearly treble on WMV than that of MP4 for the clip I'm uploading:
9000kbps MP4
24000 kbps WMV

:dk:

Audio is virtually the same on both.

the WMV has been encoded to 9mb/s (bear in mind mpeg2 DVD is 2mbit/s) which is way beyond what you would ever see on any social media

the WMV has been encoded to 9mb/s (bear in mind mpeg2 DVD is 2mbit/s) which is way beyond what you would ever see on any social media

Thanks Mark, so am I wasting my time with WMV over MP4?

at that bitrate yes. MP4 is the greater used format these days

need to correct my other post, mp4 is at 9mb/s still way over the needed bitrate, the wmv is at 24mb/s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom