Wootton Bassett to get 'Royal' title

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have great admiration for the people of Wootton Bassett who unfailingly come out to pay their respects to our fallen troops.

However, if I were a parent or spouse of one of those killed, it would take a hell of a lot more than this gesture from Her Majesty's Government before I could forgive their actions in taking this country into illegal (Iraq) and un-winnable (Afghanistan) wars.

I think the title of this thread is wholly inappropriate.

The nature of what's been happening in Royal Wootton Basset has nothing to do with one in the eye for anybody.

It's been about modest decency and respect for our fallen soldiers and servicemen.

Guys, don't be too hard on the OP - I don't think he's trying to be inflammatory. He's merely pointing out the perception of a "balance redress", which I support.

I suppose I am some sort of racist now for wanting "balance" redressed :(

Not a racist at all...but an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

I think our thoughts were that there is no need to tarnish the good news/thread etc with a title like that. I dont think OP is being inflammatory either and no ones being racist.

Not being racist one little bit. In this wonderful country, we are all free and entitled to worship our chosen God, peacefully.

Just felt that the fine for poppy burning and disturbing the two minutes silence was somewhat lenient - this (in my opinion) will go some way to repair the hurt many people felt during their protest.

I'm sure if more people (geographically) could turn out to Wootten Basset then the Nation would show the minority of the UKs followers of Allah who defiled the Silence how insulting we found their opinion of our Armed Forces to be.

Not being racist one little bit. In this wonderful country, we are all free and entitled to worship our chosen God, peacefully.

Just felt that the fine for poppy burning and disturbing the two minutes silence was somewhat lenient - this (in my opinion) will go some way to repair the hurt many people felt during their protest.

I'm sure if more people (geographically) could turn out to Wootten Basset then the Nation would show the minority of the UKs followers of Allah who defiled the Silence how insulting we found their opinion of our Armed Forces to be.

I'm glad you changed the title well done.

The fine may have been lenient, but compared to what the Taliban did to a Christian politician in Pakistan who wanted the blasphemy laws changed, I am also glad we can be lenient.

I often go to Leam, otherwise known as Leamington, or even Royal Leamington Spa. I find the Royal title a bit of a mouthful and even a little pretensious, so I seldom even use it on postal addresses.

All credit to Wootton Bassett for the respect they have given to the armed forces. The title will stay with the town forever, but I wonder for how long the title will be used by the inhabitants?

Last edited:
I disagree about the flags though. I don't oppose to use of flags of course, but is down to preference how you prefer to show your respect. The picture below shows how the people of Wootton Bassett quietly and respectfully honour the fallen soldiers and I don't feel that the lack of flags by itself carries any disrespect with it..

1BritRespect_468x313.jpg

Sorry folks but what exactly is wrong with the thread title
'wooton basset to get royal title'
Am i missing something

speaking of one in the eye for the jihadists, i always wondered if abu hamza ever got it wrong when he had an itch...

painful.

hamza_1742298c.jpg

Im pleased to see that Wootton Bassett has been recognised for the loss of all those servicemen and women travelling through their town on their final journey. well done them i have 8 friends going to Afghanistan this year and im worried sick for them. im in the forces and i dont agree with what is going on out there... war on terror.. more loke a war on drugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom