Worlds most dangerous driving roads...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All those roads certainly look really scary. You wouldn't get me on some of those for a kings ransom.
But I wonder what road actually IS the most dangerous?
That is the one with the most fatalities per mile?
I suspect it could be a quite ordinary road in a city somewhere..............

All those roads certainly look really scary. You wouldn't get me on some of those for a kings ransom.
But I wonder what road actually IS the most dangerous?
That is the one with the most fatalities per mile?
I suspect it could be a quite ordinary road in a city somewhere..............

Nah, it won't be, speeds in cities are too low, even for a pedestrian to be killed the speed of impact really needs to be well above 20mph. Vehicle to vehicle impacts are @ too low speeds to cause massive death rates if you come off the road in a city its either people you hit, or a building. On these roads, its a 300ft drop

At 20mph impact a padestrian has a 80% chance of living, at 40mph its an 80% chance of death.

The article states that its

"The North Yungas Road (Road of Death), Bolivia

North Yungas Road also known as the Road of Death is considered the most dangerous road in the world. It stretches for about 40 mountain-hugging miles and is only 10 feet wide."

Maybe I'm stupid, but I'd quite fancy a drive on some of these roads. The views are stunning and you are away from the nanny state taking your picture every 10 seconds, and no flashing signs etc at you to tell you to slow down in case a red squirrel jumps out at you...To be fair a motorbike for some of the really narrow stuff is probably best in case you meet a truck or something but some of the wider roads could definately take a car...

And just look at those views :D

Last edited:
There is one that springs to mind! Not far from you, the A82? Not really any shear drops but a dangerous road never the less...

Aye, its really breaking up and is a bit of a bone shaker :eek: - a bit like these roads its blessed with wonderful views.

Have a look at this

Once your past crianlariach and head up Glencoe its good fun :D I was going to head up there as the weather was nice, but the bank holiday traffic would mean slow progress and meeting buses in the really narrow bits.

Aye, its really breaking up and is a bit of a bone shaker :eek: - a bit like these roads its blessed with wonderful views.

Have a look at this

Once your past crianlariach and head up Glencoe its good fun :D I was going to head up there as the weather was nice, but the bank holiday traffic would mean slow progress and meeting buses in the really narrow bits.
I don't get as far as Glencoe... I usually bugger off toward Oban on the A85. I remember getting diverted along your nick on the woods along the side of some loch (Gare Loch I think?) and it was a bit precarious due to the road only being wide enough for a car and a bit and getting coaches and large camper vehicles coming the other direction causing serious tailbacks. It took a copper on foot to start clearing traffic... I'm going to go through Callander this year! Hopefully make the Ferry to Luing on time this year! I had to get a friend to get his fishing boat and and pick up the wife and little one and myself. I left the car at the terminal overnight....

I don't get as far as Glencoe... I usually bugger off toward Oban on the A85. I remember getting diverted along your nick on the woods along the side of some loch (Gare Loch I think?) and it was a bit precarious due to the road only being wide enough for a car and a bit and getting coaches and large camper vehicles coming the other direction causing serious tailbacks. It took a copper on foot to start clearing traffic... I'm going to go through Callander this year! Hopefully make the Ferry to Luing on time this year! I had to get a friend to get his fishing boat and and pick up the wife and little one and myself. I left the car at the terminal overnight....

The A85 from Tyndrum to Dalmally is a very nice run, lovely corners and changes of gradient. From there to Oban the road is nice but nowt special. The run from Callander will take you up Loch Lubnaig, and on to Tyndrum, that too is a nice run. A detour, but its worth it is to head to Helensburgh, then onto Aberfoyle, then over the dukes pass to Kilmahog, (a few miles from Callander) and from there continue your journey. Another detour, is to head up to Inverarry, over the rest and bethankful pass. You take the A82 to Arrochar, but then stick on the A83 to Inverarry and turn off and head over another lovely road to the A85.

The road you mention runs down Long Long, from Arrochar (A814) and ends up in Garelochhead. Its a nice road when nothing is coming at you, but can make little people in the back of your car feel unwell. There will have been an accident on the A82, and they diverted you down there. The a82 from Luss to Tarbert has a very high accident rate for reasons unbeknown to me as its an easy stretch of road IMHO.

Be careful if your driving up here in Summer. We have a lot of foreign tourists that can, and do get confused with driving on the Left. They can, and do turn in front of you without looking. Bikers and caraveners also add to the blood bath when they meet (narrow stretches of the A82 seem a favourite meeting point)

Last edited:
The A85 from Tyndrum to Dalmally is a very nice run, lovely corners and changes of gradient. From there to Oban the road is nice but nowt special. The run from Callander will take you up Loch Lubnaig, and on to Tyndrum, that too is a nice run. A detour, but its worth it is to head to Helensburgh, then onto Aberfoyle, then over the dukes pass to Kilmahog, (a few miles from Callander) and from there continue your journey. Another detour, is to head up to Inverarry, over the rest and bethankful pass. You take the A82 to Arrochar, but then stick on the A83 to Inverarry and turn off and head over another lovely road to the A85.

The road you mention runs down Long Long, from Arrochar (A814) and ends up in Garelochhead. Its a nice road when nothing is coming at you, but can make little people in the back of your car feel unwell. There will have been an accident on the A82, and they diverted you down there. The a82 from Luss to Tarbert has a very high accident rate for reasons unbeknown to me as its an easy stretch of road IMHO.

Be careful if your driving up here in Summer. We have a lot of foreign tourists that can, and do get confused with driving on the Left. They can, and do turn in front of you without looking. Bikers and caraveners also add to the blood bath when they meet (narrow stretches of the A82 seem a favourite meeting point)
Back up that way in August! I'll keep you advice to mind when doing so! I was hoping to do a run this year... I was going to do the World Pipe Band Championships in Glasgow then up to Luing, then compete at Oban... But the Powers that be that run the Oban games have changed the dates again!:mad: So I'll just holidaying in Luing and just play at the Island Kayleigh. Have you ever been to Luing?

Last edited:
The coastal road in Croatia wasnt the least bit scary. The only reason it kills people is because of the extremely high speed some people insist on.

Not quite in the same league but I found the road that goes to Cap Formentor in the North of Mallorca a bit scary in places.
The EN125 in Portugal is dangerous because Portuguese drivers are crazy.

Road to Cap Formentor...

Attachments

• road1.jpg
    road1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 63
  • road.jpg
    road.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 64
Back up that way in August! I'll keep you advice to mind when doing so! I was hoping to do a run this year... I was going to do the World Pipe Band Championships in Glasgow then up to Luing, then compete at Oban... But the Powers that be that run the Oban games have changed the dates again!:mad: So I'll just holidaying in Luing and just play at the Island Kayleigh. Have you ever been to Luing?

I've never been to Luing. The only Island I've been on is Jura :(

I used to have a friend who's Dad had a R.I.B. and he did tours around the Oban area in it.

He took us out on it once and we saw seals, swells in the water etc. A really interesting day out and because this thing had a Toyota 4litre engine it was fast and we all had red faces the next day :D

I've never been to Luing. The only Island I've been on is Jura :(

I used to have a friend who's Dad had a R.I.B. and he did tours around the Oban area in it.

He took us out on it once and we saw seals, swells in the water etc. A really interesting day out and because this thing had a Toyota 4litre engine it was fast and we all had red faces the next day :D
I have been all over Scotland, either on holiday or competing at various Highland games and been overwhelmed by the natural beauty of the countryside... But Luing is a place all of it's own! Even as a day trip for you... I'm sure you would be pleasantly surprised... I don't know if you like seafood, but there is a guy who sells fresh scallops for pittance. I actually go to swim with dolphins last year!

I have been all over Scotland, either on holiday or competing at various Highland games and been overwhelmed by the natural beauty of the countryside... But Luing is a place all of it's own! Even as a day trip for you... I'm sure you would be pleasantly surprised... I don't know if you like seafood, but there is a guy who sells fresh scallops for pittance. I actually go to swim with dolphins last year!

It sure is nice up here. Never understand why down south has so much more population.

A rule of thumb I have for nice driving in Scotland is head as north as you can and stick west. In my BMW days I had a nice driving trip up towards skye, and then pushed north to Ullapool and upto near Loch Inver.

I do like seafood, and its not so far from here so a day trip for a sunny day and no bank holiday traffic :thumb:

It sure is nice up here. Never understand why down south has so much more population.

A rule of thumb I have for nice driving in Scotland is head as north as you can and stick west. In my BMW days I had a nice driving trip up towards skye, and then pushed north to Ullapool and upto near Loch Inver.

I do like seafood, and its not so far from here so a day trip for a sunny day and no bank holiday traffic :thumb:
Head to Cullipool, and through the village. There is a bench and table facing Mull.... I did have a photo, but can't seem to find it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom