worn rear tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookie-1978

Car
e320 cdi
I have a e320 cdi w211 and 3 month ago fitted 4 new tyres to the car. While putting it the car baby seat I happened to look down and notice the n/s/r tyre down the the canvass on the outer edge of the tyre. Rest of the tyre is like new. All the other tyres are wearing normal.
I'm unsure the reason and jacked up the car and gave the wheel a shake, no obvious signs of movement. Bit shocked on how fast it has worn and how it's worn.

have you had a 4 wheel alignment carried out? That'd be my first stop.

Definitely something wrong with the rear tracking if it's worn through in 3 months, have you hit a kerb or large pothole recently? I'd get the alignment checked as recommended by previous poster, and a new tyre!

I had the alignment done when the tyres were fitted as it was a free heck but did require adjustment. Although they adjusted it they only did it on the front. Not hit a kerb or a pothole that I'd have noticed, although the roads are shocking where I live.

I'm wondering if a bush on the rear is knackered but I'd have thought it would have play in it. How's the alignment adjusted on the rear?

i did this for a living when i worked on the I.O.M. the gear we had was excellent all done with cameras on all four wheels. i would say its a matter of finding somewhere that has a good 4 wheel alignment system.

its done by adjusting the eccentric bolt on the suspension links/arms.

Last edited:
I have a similar issue on the rear N/S on my CLS, except that mine is wearing the inside edge out, and mine is due the camber needing adjusting. It sounds like that you only had the front wheels tracked rather than a 4 wheel alignment carried out.
Put you're post code into the link below to find someone close to you with the right kit to do it,
Align My Car

Thanks I will get it in to a place near me. Might explain the rear of the car feeling iffy in the wet.

I took the car for 4 wheel alignment today but was told the rear wasn't adjustable by the guy.
Not sure if he had alot of knowledge on alignment on these cars though. Is it 100% adjustable on the rear? Think I need to take it to someone who has the knowledge with these.

I took the car for 4 wheel alignment today but was told the rear wasn't adjustable by the guy.
Not sure if he had alot of knowledge on alignment on these cars though. Is it 100% adjustable on the rear? Think I need to take it to someone who has the knowledge with these.

Go to Wheels in Motion in Cheshunt. They are known to be the best in business at wheel alignment.

Will google how far away they are from me thanks. Any idea on the prices they charge?

^ Sorry I don't. But a correct set up will save you a fortune in tyres in the long run.

3hrs 20 mins drive away for me but if I know they can sort it then it will be worth the drive.

3hrs 20 mins drive away for me but if I know they can sort it then it will be worth the drive.

They'll be able to sort it.

They are 2 hours from me but I don't care.

Sadly for me - I used to live in Chesham but didn't know about them then!

They'll be able to sort it.

They are 2 hours from me but I don't care.

Sadly for me - I used to live in Chesham but didn't know about them then!

Small world used to live in Chesham Bois and then Amersham.

yeah he has no knowledge of proper wheel alignment by the sound of it, as ive said the Hunter system is a great piece of kit and their operatives are normally trained to use them as i was, and are accurate to 0.5 of a milometer which is well in the tolerances. you also get a print out afterwards.

Had the car on the alignment machine with a print out. Rear passenger wheel is a mile out and suspects somethings bent. Unsure where to go from here now.
What are the rear suspension arms n bushes like that sell on ebay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom