Worst air filter you have seen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ashenfie

Car
Merc C180 1.6
I just check my air filter after it been serviced. 3 year old car with fully MB service history.

See attached

Attachments

• IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 142
This is a dirty air filter!

46d81e3da96a75f19f2715fc461f1d6a.jpg

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/1961324-post4.html

Looks good nick for 3 years old.

Whitenemesis wins! - That's a filter that's preventing he car from running right.

K&N say that the performance of their filters gets better as it get dirtier; the logic is that the pore size is reduced as it catches dirt (so the filtration gets better)... right until it's totally clogged I guess?

Whitenemesis wins! - That's a filter that's preventing he car from running right.

K&N say that the performance of their filters gets better as it get dirtier; the logic is that the pore size is reduced as it catches dirt (so the filtration gets better)... right until it's totally clogged I guess?

Maybe I should put it back it LOL? I had assumed the if it was clogged it would make the car run rich and affect the MPG

Last edited:
Yeah OP yours is still good.

My two were similar to WhiteNemesis' when I changed them. Full of grit, wasps, leaves, cigarette butts and other crap.

A clogged filter won't cause it to run rich, the lambda sensor measures how much oxygen is present in exhaust gas. It'll adjust the fuelling to maintain a correct stoicometric fuel/air ratio. So if air goes down, fuel goes down, you'll loose power and put your foot down further to compensate and that's where reduced mpg comes from, not incorrect fuel/air mix.

Last edited:
MB recommend changing the air filter at 4 years or about 60k miles so your service schedule hasn't been compromised.

Yeah OP yours is still good.

My two were similar to WhiteNemesis' when I changed them. Full of grit, wasps, leaves, cigarette butts and other crap.

A clogged filter won't cause it to run rich, the lambda sensor measures how much oxygen is present in exhaust gas. It'll adjust the fuelling to maintain a correct stoicometric fuel/air ratio. So if air goes down, fuel goes down, you'll loose power and put your foot down further to compensate and that's where reduced mpg comes from, not incorrect fuel/air mix.

Just to clarify, that's not a filter from any of my cars :eek:

Check the link below the image

The link below the image is my link, it's my thread. At the top is my air filters. :thumb:

Only a bit dirtier than mine and mine was nowhere near due!

Last edited:
I changed the air filter on my 1983 S123 on purchase, in 2012.

I'm certain it was the original filter, 163K miles in 29 years.

When touched, it just crumbled into dust. The one PO had some odd ideas. Rust proofing being one of the better ones!

It also depends how hard the car sucks on the filter. - A c180 doesn't need anything like the airflow of a c63 so would be far less upset by a dirty filter.

Those look clean compared to this one

Now been changed

f6527e28794262e48a8dd89dfa849e6d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It also depends how hard the car sucks on the filter. - A c180 doesn't need anything like the airflow of a c63 so would be far less upset by a dirty filter.

Not quite, a C63 has two panel filters not one. Also, no car sucks air any harder than any other car. You can't suck air, atmospheric pressure pushes the air through and that's the same 1 bar at sea level for every car.

C180s are 'charged, whether it's earlier supercharged or newer turbo charged and so if anything they'd be less affected because of the higher than atmospheric pressure after the charger.

It's volume and quality of air consumed that's relevant to the lifespan of an air filter. And the air is sucked regardless of the engine type.

You cannot suck air. It's basic physics. Google it.

Oh my god...

When you suck a straw, you're not lifting the liquid to your mouth. You're reducing the air pressure behind the liquid creating an imbalance and the atmospheric air pressure pushes the liquid up the straw into your mouth. That's why it's impossible to suck liquid up a straw more than about 32 ft long as there isn't enough air pressure to push the liquid up. There's happily be a vacuum above the water and still insufficient pressure to push up the liquid from the bottom.

Suction cups don't suck into the surface. The air on the outside pushes them onto it.

Oh, your vacuum cleaner doesn't suck either, it pushes air out the vents creating a low pressure area inside and the air rushes in the cleaning end. I'm sure you can find a link from Dyson explaining how their vacuum cleaners suck very hard too, it's simple terminology to not confuse people like you.

Here's some basic school physics for you.
schoolphysics ::Welcome::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom