Would any of you consider changing your car for a gtr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
I've got the dreaded itch. Don't know much about the Nissan scene apart from they're fast and I like the look of them. Some of you guys must of thought about swapping out your c63 for one of these. Would't be able to stretch budget to a late one so would be around 35k budget. Wouldn't be used as a daily drive so wouldn't be doing many miles. Would it be jumping out the frying pan into the fire when it comes to reliability and service costs?

Yes and no.... my best mate had one who I go on track days with. He blew and engine and the thing ate tyres, brakes and fuel 7 times more than his currently 997 gt3 rs's.

But if you have that itch. Just do it. I'm keen to get one and almost sold the 911 to do so but I just can't warrant the higher running costs.

I've been a long time Gtr fan I test drove one when they first came out and a few years ago tried a 2013 model which is worth paying the extra for as they have upgraded the car.

This is what I need guys. I know nothing about them yet.

I don't even know what year the new one came out.

Pros:
Very little else out there that £ for £ can match the package
For a 4WD it drives sublime on a track and when on the twisties
Looks an absolute brute, the type of car you'd have on a poster in your bedroom as a schoolboy.

Cons:
Poor visibility
High running costs
They've all been wragged at the age you're looking at.

This is what I need guys. I know nothing about them yet.

I don't even know what year the new one came out.

The later/facelift model has a higher BHP output than the old (standard no mods)quite a car and an itch worth scratching but a few owners have said the tire of them after time.

Pros:
Very little else out there that £ for £ can match the package
For a 4WD it drives sublime on a track and when on the twisties
Looks an absolute brute, the type of car you'd have on a poster in your bedroom as a schoolboy.

Cons:
Poor visibility
High running costs
They've all been wragged at the age you're looking at.

Visibility. not to much of a problem. I'm 45 and I think my eyesight is deteriorating fast anyway.

Running costs. I'm lucky if I do 500 miles a year in the c63.

They've all been wragged. This is a bit of a worry. Not that someone has drove it all its previous life in anger because I'm sure we've all driven our amg's like we stole them from time to time. I'm just worried about the turbo time bomb situation. It's like in my mind I can take the c63 out, ring it's neck and I know it'll be good another day. It's been a long time since I've owned a turbo fire breather. We're talking back in the cossie days when you could have the engine out n sitting in ya mums kitchen in under an hour.

Every year they iterate the model with various tweaks and changes. They face lifted (with LEDs daytime running lights) the 2011 models and post, the 2017 has an upgraded interior. All other versions have tweaks on suspension, BHP etc.

Old ones are fine, supposed to be serviced every 6 months but most do it yearly and that's accepted as the my11 and post are mechanically/parts the same.
This will give you an idea for costs on servicing http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/Content/GTR Servicing For Workshop MY11.pdf

Discs and pads are 2k if they need changing.

Fuel economy is better than the c63. Brakes and tyres I can't say but depends on driving style and track days. Anything high performance can be expensive but can always purchase a warranty if worried?

If you're not worried about the comforts the gtr is a great car and I recommend you try it out. The way it delivers the power is unbelievable, so efficient with ta grip and handling. The C63 is a brute and makes an amazing noise though.

Make sure you get one well looked after, either by litchfield, ac Speedtech or Kaizer motors.

Give me a shout if you have any Qs. I have a MY11 which is around 610BHP (stage 2 tune) and a C63 saloon facelift with performance pack.

I had a 2013 GTR and loved it, they're stupidly quick and you can stick the traction control in race and get it sideways.
I had mine remapped by Lichfield with switchable maps and a miltek exhaust which upped the power to 590bhp.
When driving at low speed I found you had to keep it in manual (on the paddles) otherwise it would go up and down gears constantly.
Servicing is between 550 and 950 but the biggest killer for me was the tyres which were around 700 each. I wanted to do track days and didn't want to spend a fortune on tyres. If you can afford to run one they are great cars.
You can't fit adults in the back, I'm 5 ft 10 and my head would touch the back screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The early ones had bellhousing issues (came out in 09) prop shaft issues.

My mate ran his at 660bhp with exhaust mods, coilovers, active rear wings, slicks on track blah blah blah.

Blew his engine to pieces the week before the new owner was picking it up. Cost him a shed load of money at svm. At the time when he was selling it back in the earlier days circa 2012/13 and engine and turbos were around £17k I believe it's a lot less now.

If you buy one, don't expect because it's had loads of work done it's sorted. I know Marc's ha had yet another engine and gearbox since his ownership.

Servicing is between 550 and 950 but the biggest killer for me was the tyres which were around 700 each. I wanted to do track days and didn't want to spend a fortune on tyres. If you can afford to run one they are great cars.

I agree with the servicing costs and yearly can be a pain when used to two years servicing.
700 each?!?! You can do all four corners for £1k whether you chose Michelin pilot super sport, Michelin cup 2s, Bridge stones, or toyo r888. You can also run vredesteins for £800 for all 4 if you like. So I don't find them too different to the AMG costs.

Also point to note he would never ever skimp on servicing or cheaper parts. Always upgraded beyond what was recommended.

One track day. One set of discs and pads, compare that to our 911's and 7 track days and still on the same pads.....

I agree with the servicing costs and yearly can be a pain when used to two years servicing.
700 each?!?! You can do all four corners for £1k whether you chose Michelin pilot super sport, Michelin cup 2s, Bridge stones, or toyo r888. You can also run vredesteins for £800 for all 4 if you like. So I don't find them too different to the AMG costs.

When I had mine you could only buy one brand of tyre which made it expensive, now that more manufacturers are making them I'm guessing the cost of them has come right down. I remember Nissan giving me a quote for new tyres and it was 650 each for the front and 750 each for the back

When I had mine you could only buy one brand of tyre which made it expensive, now that more manufacturers are making them I'm guessing the cost of them has come right down. I remember Nissan giving me a quote for new tyres and it was 650 each for the front and 750 each for the back

Ah the days when you could only fill up with nitrogen? That's a ridiculous price though, I think they also invalidated your warranty if you fitted different tyres - what nonsense!

The nitrogen filled tyres is also nonsensical FYI

Felstmiester said:
**** !! Your scaring me now.

But.... if you don't track day them... come on, what a car. What a thrill just get an exhaust bit to quiet else.

When I used to see his gtr rape my 911 down the road I often thought to myself Jesus I need myself one of those. Just walk into eyes wide open... a years ownership and see how you get on. Do it.

Ah the days when you could only fill up with nitrogen? That's a ridiculous price though, I think they also invalidated your warranty if you fitted different tyres - what nonsense!

The nitrogen filled tyres is also nonsensical FYI

Hi,
My cars tyres are also filled with nitrogen....... well about 79% nitrogen and the remainder is oxygen and a tiny bit of co2!

Cheers
Steve

I've been looking at them recently. It seems my budget will only buy me one with 60,000 miles + on the clock.

Sure every petrol head would want one myself included even if only to scratch that itch.

A friend has one and I was reminded how bad our pot holed roads are in the UK.

Fantastic car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom