Would you curb an alloy for an ambulance

Would you risk curbing an alloy for an ambulance

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
An interesting thought,how many members would curb an alloy wheel to let an ambulance through or would you carry on untill it was safe to pull over at the side of the pavement,if it ment holding the ambulance up for a minute.
and be very honest.
how do we set up a pole!

No, I wouldn't. Curbing a wheel suddenly could cause you to lose control and cause an accident, hit a pedestrian etc.

The NEW Highway Code Rule 219 says :- Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

i actually kerbed on on the c36 when i was pulled over by the plod last year... slightly different reason i guess.... to the above... no i wouldnt kerb my alloys for anyone!

NO I wouldn't kerb my wheel, not that I am selfish or anything but if you were to ask the emergency services they would say just pull over where and when it it safe, you don't need to panic and mount the nearest kerb, the emergency vehicle will find a way around you.

Not I.

Not in the same category but the first time I took my driving test I was asked by the examiner to pull up under a tree at the end of the test. It was a hot August day and the tree was the only shade but I could only get under it by mounting the not unsubstantial kerb. I declined to follow his instruction. He was not amused, asked me two quick questions and failed me! Reason: Failure to make proper progress. I've not been accused of it since.

Hmmm... Works for me :dk:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gPoG0DMQwLc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gPoG0DMQwLc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

That video has some terrible examples of observation from drivers, and some terrible examples of bullying by emergency response drivers. It's only common sense to get out of the way or give way to an emergency vehicle, but in doing so you mustn't break traffic laws (red lights are a no-no, mounting pavements probably another).

I think a lot of the problem here is down to lack of respect especially with the police. Ive seen plod on more than one occasion using his blues just to clear roadworks and after what was in court the other week (delivering a birthday card at 100mph and killing a woman) it's no wonder.

Alan

Some of those were just bad driving. Proper observation would have improved a number of situations.

Some of the emergency vehicles also seemed to have got themselves in a no win situation where the traffic had nowhere to go.

In this country the various enforcement agencies have created their own problems, in particular with regard to red lights and the way they have prosecuted drivers who have gone through cautiously when making way for blue lights. If they had applied a common sense test it would have helped.

Whilst I think it is always correct to pull over where possible, I do not think it is necessary to kerb an alloy for an ambulance -One should be able to pull over safely without kerbing!
If one slows enough & then mounts the kerb at the right angle, then no kerbing will occur!

Based on your poll it is obvious that your wheels have more value say than your own kids life (sad)

I think a lot of the problem here is down to lack of respect especially with the police. Ive seen plod on more than one occasion using his blues just to clear roadworks and after what was in court the other week (delivering a birthday card at 100mph and killing a woman) it's no wonder.

Alan
Policeman who killed grandmother in 100mph dash to deliver sister's birthday card is jailed | Mail Online
Here is the link to this shocking story (I know its Daily Mail but the story is a genuine shocker):mad:

Based on your poll it is obvious that your wheels have more value say than your own kids life (sad)

Its not about the monetary value of the wheel, or the damage it would cause, its about the potential risk of suddenly swerving off the road and possibly losing control from hitting the curb and causing an accident. :rolleyes:

Its not about the monetary value of the wheel, or the damage it would cause, its about the potential risk of suddenly swerving off the road and possibly losing control from hitting the curb and causing an accident. :rolleyes:

The poll clearly asks would you kerb a wheel for an ambulance (sorry)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom