Would you trust these "My Liftstand" ratcheting car stands?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

I saw these, and while they look really good, I suppose I'd have to inspect the mechanism myself to trust them not to just drop while in use...

What do you think? Would you get under a car held up by these? I can't help feeling I'd want to throw a block of wood under each before rolling underneath.

[youtube]cXCvq6DNJi0[/youtube]

No different than a normal axle stand. Looks really good actually

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you trust Oscar Pistorious in your bedroom if you were having a shower in the ensuite? It's mechanical it can fail!

Those are a good idea, nice working height too. I'd like to take a quick look at the locking system before I use them for the first time, but I'd do that with axle stands anyway.

Wouldn't you be as well with a pair of ramps ?

They look good, and even if one fails the car will just wobble a bit and be held fine on the other three, assuming they are well within weight limits just as with any axle stand/ Jack you might use.

9/10 jobs you'll be with a cardboard under your back and at their lowest setting, which I believe doesn't involve the point of failure ratcheting mechanism. In this case welding four stands of fixed, desired height is more useful and probably cheaper overall.

Going high up would be good when you want to drop the gearbox on a jack and wheel it out. Then you could always use a dolly and some wood blocks to do the same at the lower height.

Solving a problem that doesn't exist in my opinion.

Cars from the last 15 years are too low to drive up ramps, so you need to use CE marked cut down scaffold boards.:D

That's why you get ramp extensions now : Machine Mart , for example sell them . I have a pair I can use for my SL if I want to drive the front on , although I can reverse on without them .

Usually I drive one end on , and if I need the whole car lifted I use the trolley jack to lift the other end then place the second pair of ramps under the wheels - unless one or more wheels has to come off in which case I use axle stands .

I use ramp extensions as above. Could easily get my C55 on ramps, the Mrs A4 Quattro etc...

If you have a set of winter wheels or some other axel stands, put 4 at each corner of the car under the jacking points as a fail safe. ...

It's not the same as axel stands. They have a solid steel pin that goes through and has no chance of sheering with the total weight of a car on them, let alone roughly a quarter of it.

The same as ratcheting axel stands maybe, but I've the same reservations about those.

As others have said, I'd have to have seen the mechanism to put my mind at rest.

My drive is slightly sloped, and so these seem far better than axel stands which I wouldn't trust on my sloped drive.

Sorry to hijack. Got these for sale if someone is interested.

No different than a normal axle stand. Looks really good actually

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would trust them.

Me too they look like a well thought out idea. I have a pair of axle stands with the same ratcheting system and I've owned and used those for over 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom