Wrapping over filler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilLinda

Car
E350 CDI Estate (S212), C63 507 coupé, Honda S2000
I’ve put a nice dent in the top tube of my Mountain Bike this week which has got me thinking about possible solutions.

I’d like to fill the dent and then vinyl wrap the top tube for extra protection. A couple of questions:

1. Any recommendations for suitable filler?
2. After sanding the filler, do I need to treat the filler with anything (primer?) before wrapping?

Thinking of using 3M 1080 Carbon Wrap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No idea regarding fillers, however the 3M vinal wrap is incredibly easy. I did it the other day on the car and was impressed with the ease of it and results.

Set it in place I used a razor blade to cut the cut outs in and around it, and then the finishing touch was using a hairdryer and it set it / wrapped it perfectly.

Sand bar slightly to give it a key, then fill, sand smooth, only need to prime if you sand down to metal, but i would give it a spray with galvanised primer, just to protect. then wrap.

Is it possible that you have weakened the structure of the bike by denting the tube? especially if close to a weld, if it were to snap whilst riding at speed over bumps etc ..............................

Is it possible that you have weakened the structure of the bike by denting the tube? especially if close to a weld, if it were to snap whilst riding at speed over bumps etc ..............................

This is a very good point!!

Thanks for your concern, very much appreciated. I understand that a dent will weaken the strength of the tube. The dent is right in the middle of the top tube and only 15% of the circumference so I will keep an eye on it

Thanks for your concern, very much appreciated. I understand that a dent will weaken the strength of the tube. The dent is right in the middle of the top tube and only 15% of the circumference so I will keep an eye on it
If you want to keep an eye on it don't fill it and certainly don't wrap it !

It won't stick to filler you will have to spray primer on it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom