Wrong injectors fitted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Michaels

Car
2008 C-Class 180 SE Kompressor 1.8 Saloon
Hello can anyone please tell me what the danger is driving with wrong injectors?
I drive a 2002 MB C class 220 CDI diesel estate.
One day it would not start and my mechanic rung me to say it needs 3 injectors.
He said he can get them from the breakers yard for £60 each. I agree and he replaced them. When i paid him, he said that one injector was not the right one, but it be ok no problem. I looked under the bonnet and the lid was a bit higher then usual and the top left screw loose. I asked and he said the injector is longer then the others. By that time i was suspicious and said tell me honestly, what about the other two? Are they for this model? He said no they are also from a different models. But all is okay no problems he has done it many times and never had any problems with it and he just wanted to get me back on the road. I don't know so much about motors and this car is new to me. I had it since February. What would you do? I told him that i am not happy as that i want to have them replaced with proper injectors. I also asked him if i can have my old injectors back and he said he didn't know where they are, come back on Monday i try and find them. What to do?

Last edited:
Change your mechanic, he's evidently a total ****.

Post your VIN and I'll look up your injector part number. Buying new will be expensive but refurbished ones will be fine.

Suspect he has already fitted your old injectors into another unsuspecting owners Merc ! Look out for a similar thread being posted

Wrong injectors will not run right, there are lots of injectors that look similar but are set up differently for a reason.

Get them changed or change your mechanic.

Take up Charles's advice and we can help with the correct numbers.

He should have given you the old ones which you could have had refurbed

Wow !
This story is very troubling!
As a professional in this business this type of behaviour makes me cringe!:fail

Before this fiasco does any possible serious engine damage I suggest you pony up for a set of new injectors and get them en coded in if required.

(If you are married expect heavy flack from the missus!--That's worse I suppose)

My apologies from the trade I have been for almost 60 years and continually hoping for more professionalism.
Tuercas Viejas

WTF... where are you based? Let us help you find a good local indie... your mechanic is a total waste of space IMO

Not wishing to hijack this thread but just been told that the injectors on my 58 plate 220 cdi W204 need replacing due to oil contamination. Unsure how many but they cost £250 each new and I could require 4!!!!!!

Anyone know risks of fitting refurbished ones instead please?

We have never had to replace injectors on a W204. When they say "oil contamination" what exactly do they mean?

Refurbed Injectors - some are better than others. Bosch refurbished are ok.

Jay I wish I knew and am trying to find out. Any ideas on cost of the Bosch refurbed ones please?Thanks

Quite clearly you have been naeive enough to let a cowboy look at your car, and no doubt the low cost cost you state indicates you added to the problem and been less than honest here. Every one is quick to blame the mechanic, however often the owner wants the job done for nothing,

So looking at the post, I see yours is a 2002 either 611 or 646 engine with Bosch solenoid injectors,

On this particular engine it is easy to diagnose a faulty injector unlike the later ones mentioned in the w204 post,

Anyway it is very unlikely 3"have failed but not impossible , the reason it is running like crap is obvious, no doubt it is on 3 cylinders, smoking like a train,

Never fit used injectors, and never fit cheap recon ones, I'm a merc mechanic and recondition injectors,too, the cost of the injectors on eBay etc, are cheap for a reason,
You cannot recondition an injector to a good standard for a low price.nthe parts cost more than what they are charging.

Pm me if you want to know what's wrong with your car,

I can only speak from my experience. I have previously fitted a used injector (out of a breaker) and it is still in my car today, running well and in tolerance.

Well yes you can always get a good used 'un and get results from it.
BUT
It really is a roll of the dice like playing monopoly.

When you are dealing with a potentially expensive engine to fix not only in cost but down time, (VOR) then sending used injectors out for a full test & check at a recognized Bosch service centre will ensure you have drastically reduced the likelihood of an engine related or FIE problem in the future.

Besides the injectors we are discussing here are of the ball and seat variety which have a reputation for internal erosion and wear. Even latter day chrome plate applied to the ball and set cavity etc (which actually controls the needle and lift duration by solenoid operation) does not avoid erosion from poor fuel quality, contamination and water Ingres no matter how minute. These components are so small that a microscope is used to check the the condition of the parts involved.
Tuercas viejas

Thank you all for your replies. I will change my mechanic. I have confronted him and he agreed to
fit new injectors for free provided I get them. He said he will repay the money I paid to him as well.
He was upset and did not really accept that the wrong injectors could cause problems.
Since then I got to new injectors after getting the correct numbers and have them fitted on Tuesday. Someone asked where I live to help and find a better mechanic. I appreciate that very much. I live in Grimsby, the end of the world.

Hallo yes that would be very helpful. I appreciate this very much.
I live in Grimsby. Thank you.

what is vin? yes thank you

Had two second hand injectors fitted today. It drives like a new car. I think I got lucky today :-D
Thanks for all your help. It's much appreciated. Next I check the engine and transmission mounts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom