Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrianWSussex

Car
250d C-Class
Can anyone explain the vin and type numbers?
Purchased new C250d Sept 2016 definitely a W205.
Noticed recently V5C Reg doc says Type W204 under the Reg date.
The door pillar tag shows correct VIN number (W205).
To the left of that it says Type W204.
Can anybody explain those numbers?
Mercedes dealer are puzzled and after speaking to the dvla have sent the V5 to them.
See image, sorry it's sideways
IMG_0040.JPG

Is it a 4-door saloon or 2-door coupe?

It should be type W205 on the V5.

Thanks for your feedback.
Very confusing though and I am surprised the Mercedes Dealer couldn't give me a clear answer. It's a 4 door saloon by the way.
They have sent the V5C to the dvla so I'll keep you posted.

My 2014 (1/12/2014) shows WDD205*** on the VIN and the Vin on the V5.

Like yours, the vehicle details section D.2 Type on the V5 show 204 K.

This corresponds to the information in the MB document in the yellow folder (I do not speak German so not sure what it's called) where is shows the "type" as 204 K, variant R204PO.

Phil

What are you worried about? That it's actually a W204 in disguise?

I can't say I've noticed or would be too fussed, but I agree, it seems a bit of a misnomer.

I had the same issue on my current and previous W205s. I spoke to the dealer at the time (September 2014) and they investigated with M-B and with the DVLA. The conclusion was that there had been a mistake when the car type was first described to DVLA (or whatever the manufacturer does to let DVLA know that there is a new model) and the Type was wrongly recorded - so we're stuck with it. Don't worry, they're all registered like that, sir. :doh:

I had the same issue on my current and previous W205s. I spoke to the dealer at the time (September 2014) and they investigated with M-B and with the DVLA. The conclusion was that there had been a mistake when the car type was first described to DVLA (or whatever the manufacturer does to let DVLA know that there is a new model) and the Type was wrongly recorded - so we're stuck with it. Don't worry, they're all registered like that, sir. :doh:

I don't think it's a DVLA error.
The cars are leaving the factory labelled as Type W204.

I wonder if it's the same in other markets? Could any of our overseas members have a look at their door jamb sticker please?

Somebody on here said it's illogical and that sums it up. The Merc dealer actually had a couple of trade in's - a Citroen and something else - and they were correct on the tag and V5. I had the chance to look at a Porsche and that was correct.
My concern was the V5 is wrong and that will come back to haunt me one day.
We will find out what is correct in due course.

Should this be an issue with the dealer who has registered the vehicle with dvla ? And their issue to resolve if incorrect ?

Should this be an issue with the dealer who has registered the vehicle with dvla ? And their issue to resolve if incorrect ?

It would appear that there's nothing to resolve. M-B described this series as 204 to DVLA and that's the end of it as far as they and DVLA are concerned.

The Dealer is taking it up with the dvla, it's in their hands at the moment.
But other owners have mentioned the same problem so I wonder if there is something we are missing?
Perhaps my Dealer should be asking MB why they print two different type numbers on that tag. I'll wait for the dvla reply, then address the second issue

Ours has Type: 204 K on the door pillar label.
VIN starts WDD205
Not sure what it says on the V5, missus has filed it away.

Last edited:
The Dealer is taking it up with the dvla, it's in their hands at the moment.
But other owners have mentioned the same problem so I wonder if there is something we are missing?
Perhaps my Dealer should be asking MB why they print two different type numbers on that tag. I'll wait for the dvla reply, then address the second issue

Yes. The question is why do MB describe these cars as W204.

It's nothing to do with the DVLA! They have replicated the information MB have given them, so you can't complain at them.

Yes CaptainChaos I agree with you now. Problem is I asked the Dealer I bought it from for an explanation and they chose to return the V5 to the dvla.
I wonder now why they didn't just phone MB at Milton Keynes for an explanation.
I can see now that you could have a W204 Series and then subsequent models (or issues) such as a 205, or even a future 206 or 207 but MB don't make the situation clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom