Xenon Headlamp Removal R129

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cartez

Car
Mercedes sl320
Hi

Are there any threads or advice on how to remove the front headlamp from the r129. YouTube has nothing relevant and I've disassembled the unit all apart from one cable that looks to be from inside the lamp to something on the car frame. My guess would be the ballast. Unsure where to go from here and the tech spec drawings aren't helping either!

OK, identified how to detach what did end up as the ballast from the frame on the near side headlamp and removed the complete unit. The headlamp was connected to the ballast which is attached to the car frame. Removed the two nuts from the top of the ballast clip, removed the light and then wriggled the ballast out (which is attached to the headlamp). All one tidy unit. Now for the drivers side......which has the screen wash tank directly behind it

Have no idea about the car model, but to get them out usually the ballast unit is fixed beneath the headlamp, remove that and you can reach inside to the bulbs. Failing that, loosening the glue by putting them in the oven might help to remove the outer casing

If you actually meant just removing the entire headlight unit from the car, bumper off job maybe?

My 300SL-24 has standard headlamps , but from memory , removal involved taking out the indicator unit which unclipped from behind , removing the trim strip at the bottom ( fixing screw at inboard end , removing headlamp wiper arm , can't remember if the trim strip had a fixing screw behind the indicator . With trim removed , couple of screws at top of headlamp and out it came . I opened mine up as the levelling adjuster had come apart , easily fixed and reassembled .

The whole job was straightforward and got the headlamp aim fixed before the MOT which was due shortly after buying the car , and going by the MOT history , had been an issue for a while . Properly fixed , hasn't been an issue since .

The standard H4 headlamps on the car are quite superb , by the way .

Just got the near side lamp off and the ballast placement is different due to the screen wash reservoir. It looks like the ballast is underneath the body rather than behind the lamp and in the chassis. Going to see if I can acccess without taking the bumper off. If not, anyone taken the bumper off an R129 and is it straight forward?

Haven't taken the bumper off , but I've been under there replacing a fog lamp bulb and the horn which also lives in there - the cover comes off by undoing a few screws underneath .

Please remember the ridiculously high voltage needed for Xenons and disconnect the battery for at least an hour when working on them

Thanks. The lights were disconnected for a full day before I stripped them down . Update- It looks like the issue may be with the self levelling motor rather than the ballast or ignitors. The motor was rusting and green on the outer and when I stripped it the rust and corrosion was inside. A replacement part is only £30 with postage so will try this before swapping parts from the other unit. The current problem is the fuse tripping when I put the headlights on. The near side still works, and the high beam both sides work. This may be a red herring but any advice would be very welcome at this stage

Not a great result. Leveller arrived and fitted but the fuse still blowing so back to the drawing board. Any way I can test the ballast or the ignition without swapping it over? Or will the star system advise which part is knackered?

The headlamp levelling is vacuum operated on my car , nothing electrical . The only motor under the headlamps ( on my car ) is for the headlamp wipers .

The headlamp levelling is vacuum operated on my car , nothing electrical . The only motor under the headlamps ( on my car ) is for the headlamp wipers .

I have a 2001 model with the xenon headlights. The motor is in the unit. I'll get there eventually but wanted to get the car an MOT before winter.

Just to document it, the off-side headlight ballast was much easier to access. It's behind an access panel in the wheel arch. Three bolts to remove the panel and one bolt and three screws to remove the ballast. I'll swap this with the near side ballast to discount this item and then it's just the ignitors. If this fails to remove dentifrice the problem then it's down to inspecting the wiring loom.

Again, any experience of this would be very much appreciated if you have any hints or tips.

Not sure if this string will be helpful for others but I hope so. Finally removed the rusted screw to remove the near side ballast from the light fitting and water emptied out of it!!!!! That'll be whats causing the short. Currently letting the connector dry out and I'll try it with the other ballast from the offside light. Looking at a new part on the tinternet and it's over £300 so hoping the eBay purchase is all ticketety boo. Fingers crossed the next process is to put it in for an MOT.

Hi
Got a similar problem... well not really but here it goes: bought a 2001 SL500 with the Xenons removed. The seller said it was an unsuccessful theft and that the thieves run off without the xenons. Now only the passenger side has the ballast and on the driver side no ballast. From your thread it is obvious that I need a ballast for the driver side as well.
Any advise on where to get this part?
Many thanks.
Minica

Hi, I would ask at the Mercedes parts counter first, the begin looking online, eBay perhaps, the 129 Co, the SL Shop

Hi
Got a similar problem... well not really but here it goes: bought a 2001 SL500 with the Xenons removed. The seller said it was an unsuccessful theft and that the thieves run off without the xenons. Now only the passenger side has the ballast and on the driver side no ballast. From your thread it is obvious that I need a ballast for the driver side as well.
Any advise on where to get this part?
Many thanks.
Minica
If you click on the OPs name under his avatar you will see that he was last seen on here March 14 2017. So unlikely to respond to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom