Xenon Headlight, SCN coding and tourist mode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

liamski007

Car
E350 CDI (2009)
thought I might share these musings...I bought a control module off eBay, xenon headlight control module. It is a Hella unit, same as the Mercedes OEM but half the price. I fitted it myself - (quite easy) only to discover it didn't activate the main beam. After a few phone calls to Mercedes I was advised it needed to be SCN coded (which I had never heard of) but they would not do it as it was not bought from them. This left me having to find an independent Merc mechanic who happened to be 30 miles away but was indeed able to code it...the main beam now worked. However, my usual mechanic (who is actually an MOT inspector as well) advised me that the dipped beam was throwing onto oncoming traffic as opposed to the hedge and this was an MOT failure. I contacted the indie Merc mechanic again and took it down for him to have another look. He discovered that the software in the control module was in 'tourist' mode and quickly remedied this for me at no charge. I thought some of the good people on this forum might not know this and be interested to learn of my difficulties. Apparently the thing can be programmed if the vehicle is going to be driven in continental Europe. So finally I now have a fully working headlight.

To be honest I've never had so much trouble getting a headlight to work again and never so costly. I never had any issues with halogen headlights other than to change bulbs. Some people may not like the colour of halogens but I would say to Mercedes, "simplicity is the hallmark of genius". A non-working headlight should not cause so much grief. I don't need intelligent headlights, ones that turn round corners etc....ok, I do like autodip but I could live without it. Why try to re-invent the wheel. Just give me lights that work which all my previous cars did.

Anyway, rant over.

Liam

If it says on the heading I apologise as it doesn't show anything on my phone!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

apologies, should have stated the model..it's 2009 E350 CDi (V6 Diesel)......212 chassis

Thank you for the post Liam, it answers my question recently posted as to whether the control unit (ballast) needs SCN coding or not

no worries Bob.....I get a lot knowledge myself from these forums and thought it was time to share some of my own limited knowledge. I haven't logged in here for a while but would have replied to you if I had seen your post.

There is a lot of conflicting information, some say SCN needed, some say Xentry will do it. Oh well, off to someone who can SCN code this to get it working properly.

I can see why it's done, to stop the use of stolen parts but it causes so much grief!

This is interesting as I've recently retro fitted BI XENON's to my Vito & although they work up to a point not exactly how I'd imagine!! Maybe this could be the cause of my issue!! I think I need to check this! Is there a SCN code for the ballast resistor or is it a case of activating something on star ( ticking a box )

I would imagine same scenario. Did you have to change the control units? Can you see them in Xentry?

Mine never had the ballast resistors in there before, so I need to find them on Star! I've had trouble with Star finding the level sensor control module!

thought I might share these musings...I bought a control module off eBay, xenon headlight control module. It is a Hella unit, same as the Mercedes OEM but half the price. I fitted it myself - (quite easy) only to discover it didn't activate the main beam. After a few phone calls to Mercedes I was advised it needed to be SCN coded (which I had never heard of) but they would not do it as it was not bought from them. This left me having to find an independent Merc mechanic who happened to be 30 miles away but was indeed able to code it...the main beam now worked. However, my usual mechanic (who is actually an MOT inspector as well) advised me that the dipped beam was throwing onto oncoming traffic as opposed to the hedge and this was an MOT failure. I contacted the indie Merc mechanic again and took it down for him to have another look. He discovered that the software in the control module was in 'tourist' mode and quickly remedied this for me at no charge. I thought some of the good people on this forum might not know this and be interested to learn of my difficulties. Apparently the thing can be programmed if the vehicle is going to be driven in continental Europe. So finally I now have a fully working headlight.

To be honest I've never had so much trouble getting a headlight to work again and never so costly. I never had any issues with halogen headlights other than to change bulbs. Some people may not like the colour of halogens but I would say to Mercedes, "simplicity is the hallmark of genius". A non-working headlight should not cause so much grief. I don't need intelligent headlights, ones that turn round corners etc....ok, I do like autodip but I could live without it. Why try to re-invent the wheel. Just give me lights that work which all my previous cars did.

Anyway, rant over.

Liam
no worries Bob.....I get a lot knowledge myself from these forums and thought it was time to share some of my own limited knowledge. I haven't logged in here for a while but would have replied to you if I had seen your post.
hi liamsky007 were was it u took your unit to be coded please as iv got one needs doing how much cost thanks nigel

Hi all, I can report a similar issue - E350 CDI 2012 coupe. I purchased a 'Headlight control module' from Hella. Local mechanic fitted but reported that full beam would not work and needed 'reprogramming'. I must admit the possibility I was being taken for a ride crossed my mind until I saw this thread. Extra cost for this reprogramming was £100+vat...they took it to another local place to get done apparently. My area is hertfordshire. Still worked out cheaper than buying the part from the main dealer. In case anyone is interested I also bought the Hella complete headlight unit from europarts for about 550.

Hi all, I can report a similar issue - E350 CDI 2012 coupe. I purchased a 'Headlight control module' from Hella. Local mechanic fitted but reported that full beam would not work and needed 'reprogramming'. I must admit the possibility I was being taken for a ride crossed my mind until I saw this thread. Extra cost for this reprogramming was £100+vat...they took it to another local place to get done apparently. My area is hertfordshire. Still worked out cheaper than buying the part from the main dealer. In case anyone is interested I also bought the Hella complete headlight unit from europarts for about 550.
Good
Good morning
I have just replaced the headlight module and it needs recoding I’m also in Hertfordshire can you please advise where this can be done. Many thanks Ian

thought I might share these musings...I bought a control module off eBay, xenon headlight control module. It is a Hella unit, same as the Mercedes OEM but half the price. I fitted it myself - (quite easy) only to discover it didn't activate the main beam.
Liam

Yep sometimes things are not as cheap as they seem and are cheap for reason......hope you get it sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom