XP Pro and a huge temp folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanB

Car
W210
I have a 60 GB HDD partioned 20GB (C) and 40GB (D).

Just noticed (yesterday I only had about 1.5GB space on C - EEK

On investigation I have 8.8 GB of files in a TEMP folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Norman\Local Settings\temp) - can I delete this totally?

In the root of this TEMP folder there are about a zillion 8MB files with names like fnm106.tmp - is it safe to delete all *.tmp files?

Grateful for any advice.:confused:

NormanB said:
is it safe to delete all *.tmp files?

Yes, sort the files by file type to group all the tmp files together.
You may find some refuse to go ("access denied") as they are still in use by something running on your system.

NormanB said:
On investigation I have 8.8 GB of files in a TEMP folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Norman\Local Settings\temp) - can I delete this totally?

Best not - although XP should recreate the folder if you do.

This may be an indication of an underlying problem. Something is making the files & either is forgetting to remove them or deliberately filling your drive. What sort of size are they reported at? Programs like Acrobat Reader can produce thousands of 0 Byte files.

Do you have up-to-date virus checking?

I have AVG Free and update automatically - there is an update most days. I also do a system scan on receipt of each update.

I have deleted the *.tmp files and now have 9.5GB free space - just hope I ain't deleted anything that is really needed.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Satch

I used that toolkit - it allegedly sorted out all sorts of crap.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom