Your favorite scenic roads and places in Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marvin16x

Car
1997 C280T
Hey all,

it's still 4 months until our second UK trip with the old Benz, but since I got nothing better to do I'd like to start planning now - and I need your advice :)

Unfortunately, we didn't have a lot of time in August 2013 and went - more or less - straight up to Peak District NP after arriving in Dover, followed by just 2 days in Lake District NP and not even a week in Scotland.

Since we'll be having more time this year, our aim is to see the entire southwest of England, followed by the best bits Wales has to offer.
The rest depends on the amount of time that'll be left then, but it's probably going to be enough to see some more of Scotland (maybe all the way up to Thurso - and beyond?).

Back to the actual topic: I am looking for the most exciting roads and places in Wales, be it castles by the sea or lovely valleys along the english border (I was told that area would be pretty neat).
Please feel free to attach pics or videos to your replies. :thumb:

Thanks a lot,
Marvin

Brecon Beacons, Carreg Cennen are my favourites...

If you're out on the Becons have a look for Black Mountain Pottery...

Last edited:
Totally agree. Give the A 449 from M4 Junction 24 to Raglan at try as well. Dual carriageway in superb condition and no speed cameras too! Generall pretty clear of traffic as well.

Bealach na Ba. Do not miss it this time round :)

Ted said:
Bealach na Ba. Do not miss it this time round :)
Amazing road. Well worth the drive up from Surrey as recommended by our Scottish members. That said most of the roads in Scotland are pretty amazing for many reasons. I particularly liked Dukes Pass from Aberfoyle to Callander.

Oh and I was rewarded with a nice pint of Tennants and a cheese and haggis melt on ciabatta at the Inn at the end of the Pass. Mmmm

Shrewsbury - Welshpool - Llanfyllin - Bala - Blaenau Ffestiniog - Bethesda is a great journey with some fantastic roads. There are lots of places to stay on Anglesey, crossing over the Menai Suspension Bridge designed by Thomas Telford or the Britannia Bridge designed by Robert Stephenson - two masterpieces of Victorian road / rail bridge-building

Beaumaris has a very fine castle, one decent pub, The Bulls Head, and a couple of decent chip shops. Llandwynn and Newborough have fine beaches but the rest of Anglesey, whilst beautiful, is a cultural desert

Apart from Caernarfon and the Italianate village at Portmeirion, designed by Clough Williams-Ellis and used in the TV series, The Prisoner, the rest of Wales leaves me cold. And wet

All the roads will be an utter nightmare on Bank Holidays & school holidays

Nick Froome

Not the most exotic, but I was impressed by the A44 into Aber in that you had some very good scenery but the road was wide / fast enough that you could pass easily when required.

The industrial bits of the South are not scenic but having said that Big Pit is worth a visit for the chance to go underground in a former coal mine.

Gower is great for beaches and camping.

Good driving roads around Brecon and Mid Wales, unless you are going to go back out of Wales to travel North up the M5 you will have to go up through Mid Wales by default. No motorway and decent roads.

The whole of the West coast is pretty scenic from the beaches and harbours of the South to the mountains and slate mines in the North. If your into steam trains there is a chance to see some of this. Beddgelert is worth a stop off for the story of the dog and a nice ice cream.

The mountain road from Abertstwyth to Rhyader. Round the Elan Valley lakes. I second the Brecon Beacons.Beddgelert to Capel Curig, then on to Bethesda.

Shrewsbury - Welshpool - Llanfyllin - Bala - Blaenau Ffestiniog - Bethesda is a great journey with some fantastic roads. There are lots of places to stay on Anglesey, crossing over the Menai Suspension Bridge designed by Thomas Telford or the Britannia Bridge designed by Robert Stephenson - two masterpieces of Victorian road / rail bridge-building

Beaumaris has a very fine castle, one decent pub, The Bulls Head, and a couple of decent chip shops. Llandwynn and Newborough have fine beaches but the rest of Anglesey, whilst beautiful, is a cultural desert

Apart from Caernarfon and the Italianate village at Portmeirion, designed by Clough Williams-Ellis and used in the TV series, The Prisoner, the rest of Wales leaves me cold. And wet

All the roads will be an utter nightmare on Bank Holidays & school holidays

Nick Froome

Last time I looked Shrewsbury was in England. I like the town and most if Shropshire.

Whenever I'm on the German Autobahn, I'm even slower than the suggested speed of 80 mph, so speed limits don't really bother me ... :D

#TryingToRaiseThoseMPGs :rock:

Totally agree. Give the A 449 from M4 Junction 24 to Raglan at try as well. Dual carriageway in superb condition and no speed cameras too! Generall pretty clear of traffic as well.

+ 1. I have a client there, driven it many times :thumb: :thumb:

When I did my recent road trip down to Wales to pick up the 2.3 engine for my 190 , I drove down through Monmouth , which was very picturesque , and into Cardiff , which is a beautiful city .

800 miles in a day was a lot of driving though .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom