Your favourite scenic roads and places along Britain's east coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marvin16x

Car
1997 C280T
Evening everyone,

yet again I am here to ask you for some more advice and opinions. :eek:
Our second UK road trip will probably take us around the entire island counter-clockwise which means the east will be first on the list.
However, I still don't have a proper clue where to drive and what to see around there (especially in Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Lincolnshire and all of eastern Scotland actually).
Of course I'll have a look around the internet myself as well, but having received many great tips and replies by quite a few of you guys in my other threads on this topic I'm kind of hoping for this to happen again :D

Yes, I'm expecting it to be the rather not-so-adventurous part of the trip, but calm roads and an even calmer countryside will do. :cool:
I just don't want to make the mistake of simply taking the A1 straight up to Peak District NP again and since that mysterious East of England is so big, there has to be something there! :devil:

Looking forward to your replies! :thumb:

Big thanks from Germany,
Marvin

Evening everyone,

...and since that mysterious East of England is so big, there has to be something there! :devil:

Looking forward to your replies! :thumb:

Big thanks from Germany,
Marvin

Actually - there isn't. A few isolated tired holiday resorts - Clacton, Great Yarmouth, Cromer (crabs), Skegness (so bracing) and Scarborough.

Much of the area is as flat as a board, a lot of the coast is inaccesible and much is, or was, an industrial wasteland.

Scarborough north to Whitby is OK and the Northumbrian coast around Bamburgh is attractive.

Even the east coast of Scotland is not particularly interesting. :eek:

Go west, young man.

Northern Essex, Suffolk and the North Norfolk coast are delightful rolling countryside (painted by Constable no less) and you have such wonders as Ely Cathedral (ok a bit flat), mediaeval Kings Lynn (bit flatter), the marshy coast at Wells Next the sea and an immense number of fine churches. Lavenham and Long Melford, the Stour Valley, Blickling House, Oxburgh Hall and lots else.

Agree with Charles re Norfolk etc.
East coast of Scotland not as good as west coast, but does have areas worth visiting, St Andrews, Crail, Ely, Ruby Bay, Anstruther are good, once you get passed Aberdeen then although bleak in places, along by Moray, Buckie, Forres, Findhorn is also good, am sure there are other places in between worth seeing, but those above are places/areas I've been and could recommend

What Charles said plus wonderful coastal villages and small towns like Orford and the Butley Oysterage is well worth a visit, then onto Snape Maltings, Southwold, Dunwich and Aldeburgh and on up into Norfolk.

Don't forget the Humber Bridge, which still impresses me years after it was built. :)

The Northumberland Coast, Alnmouth up to Berwick

Love the coast road around from Seahouses up via Bamburgh to Holy Island
going over on the cause way

Thank you very much for your replies!!

fggh4okzh.png

Getting there ... :thumb:

The A1 from Berwick up to Dunbar has pleasant views , come off at Dunbar and follow the old coastal road into North Berwick , along through Dirleton ( nice pubs for lunch by the castle ) , on through Gullane , Aberlady , Longniddry , Seton Sands and into Edinburgh . Follow the coast through Museelburgh , Joppa , Portobello , Leith ( you can stop to see Britannia ) , then on past Granton and down past Cramond village before heading out to South Queensferry where you can stop down at Hawes Pier to take in views of the Forth Bridge . Cross the Forth Road Bridge and take the second exit to follow the Fife Coastal Trail as already mentioned , all the way round to the Tay Bridge . In Dundee , you can stop to see the Discovery and again follow the coast through Broughty Ferry , Carnoustie , Arbroath , Montrose . Stonehaven is nice . Once through Aberdeen there are nice stretches of coast going North again .

I had a nice run last night , in the opposite direction , after doing a job in Lockerbie , I headed across to Dumfries and then took the A75 West to Stranraer , in the SL with the roof down , it was a balmy summer night , with the sun setting over the Solway Firth , then I turned North and headed home up the Ayrshire coast as darkness fell .

Oh , if you look up member *** , his photographic tours of Scotland will give you some ideas .

Hi Derek,

big thanks for your detailed ideas. Got the east coast covered now :thumb:

I remember ***. Very nice pics and stories. Is he still gone?
I'll have a look at his stuff if I happen to find it. Do you know his name on Flickr by any chance? Edit: found him.

Best regards
Marvin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom