Zymol Car Polish v Others

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

travelininstyle

Car
C-Class Sports Coupe AMG 220 Cdi
:crazy: Just spent 4 hours today washing then waxing the car,ready for the annual hols.I normally stand by Zymol products,but used the Zymol Car Polish - this is the one that smells of coconut/banana if anyone has ever used it before - What a chore - despite been mild and slightly overcast,the polish dried to a powder and as many will know,was hard to remove and left tell tale chalky marks on the rubber and trims :mad: - I ended washing the car again and then applied a carnauba based wax polish,with much better results.Some time back,Zymol used to do something called a field glaze - this was a water based/carnauba spray quick detailer - it was fantastic,none-streaky,easy to apply and effective - but expensive ! - can anyone recommend something along those lines ?

With Zymol Wax, its not a not a polish, it should never be done when its hot.
If it must be done then do a area about 2 ft square at a time., as you have to remove it before it dries.
If you are after a spray top up type wax then the DoDo juice one is good, but not cheap.

the banana / coconut stuff - kind of light greeny turquoise stuff you get in halfords? - it's nothing really to do with zymol - made under licence to cash-in on the brand but it is awful stuff - very hard work as you have found. Quite a nice finish if I remember right tho - but hard work all the same.

for stuff which is meant to be an "all-in-one", then IMO autoglym super resin polish takes a bit of beating - mild cut + fillers does the polishing and it can be left as the final product if you wish (or put a lick of wax over the top to finish)

meguiars NXT is nice too - easy to use and leaves a nice finish but doesn't last as long. the NXT speed detailler is good too as is the spray wax which is actually marketted as a top-up for the main wax.

re. field glaze - I have tried and prefer the clearkote spray n gloss - it is great stuff and does as you say - cleans and adds a bit of gloss - not easy to come by tho - pretty much mail order only.

The turquoise Zymol is actually called 'Cleaner Wax' , never had a problem with it , i do all our cars with it , then go over with Harly Wax.

The secret is to do small sections at a time , don't be ham fisted and get all over the rubber and never apply when the panel is hot.

The turquoise Zymol is actually called 'Cleaner Wax' , never had a problem with it , i do all our cars with it , then go over with Harly Wax.

The secret is to do small sections at a time , don't be ham fisted and get all over the rubber and never apply when the panel is hot.

but how is that acceptable when there are lots of products on the market which allow you to be ham fisted, to get it on the rubber, apply when hot and allow you to do either a panel or the whole car at a time and STILL give as good or better a result??

Each to their own . If you can't keep the polish off the trim , that's down to you.

I get good results with it . :)

nice and ****y response - I have no problem either, and actually seeing as my cars aren't from the dark ages, they dont really have much matt trim anyway.

Not that I'd use a cheap tat product like fake zymol anyway.

thats not my point though...

the wax is crap as it only offers 'good' performance if it is meticulously applied - why would the average user in the street - joe average, like yourself, use it when there is better products who application allows the occasional slip/

Most people that detail with any care mask off their trims before applying any product not intended for use on them.

Mr 34 posts - stop being aggressive and demeaning please ;)

the wax is crap in my opinion as it only offers 'good' performance if it is meticulously applied - why would the average user in the street - joe average, like yourself, use it when there is better products who application allows the occasional slip/

I fixed your post for you :)

I guess being Joe Average , i haven't got anything better to do with my time than apply wax meticulously ....

Unfortunately my cars are from the dark ages , but still don't have a lot of matt trim , do new cars not have window rubbers any more then ?

I undertand that it is made under licence by Turtlewax , but here is the cleaner wax as part of the introductory kit on zymols own site , perhaps someone has hacked their site and inserted some fake products , do you think that is what happened ? If they are prepared to put their name to it , it's good enough for me.

A quick google on zyml cleaner wax throws up a lot of forums discussing it , people seem universally to have good results if they apply it properly . The only nay-sayers seem to be the more an@l members for whom detailing is their sole existance.

http://www.zymol.com/starterkit.aspx

Fake Zymol :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Quite. I use the Zymol cleaner wax and find it an excellent product. However again I have a car from the dark ages and manage not to get it on the trim.

sorry - my post was rather inflamatory. I'm new here and I really don't want to offend people. Sorry again.

Funnily enough, I do actually quite like turtle wax products. I have a container full of boutique waxes and the like, but often the OTS stuff is very comparable. I used to take my 'detailling' quite seriously - even importing a porter cable DA at one point - this was all before kids came along and occupied saturday mornings with trips to swimming clubs and ballet of course....

I did try Zymol Cleaner Wax and although the final results were reasonable, I wasnt overly impressed. Most notable was the fact that I found applying it to be very hard work indeed compared to other Polish/Wax.

I bought some Zymol Carbon a few years ago (about £70) and 4 years on, I have plenty left and I find it superb, iespecially if you have a dark coloured car. Its also a darn sight easier to apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom