£ to €

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzowner

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
With the pound so strong, wonder if the price of Mercs and of course other EU cars will reduce soon :D

No, but EU manufacturers' profits are going up with the weaker € ;)

The didn't increase when the Euro was strong (luckily) so why change the other way?

property, 2nd hand cars and holidays will cheaper!

I get paid in Euros and losing out £80/day since this time last year :(

Anybody buying an MB in the UK and not financing it must be mad, buy in Germany to UK spec pay in Euro's and save yourself a fortune. That is of course unless MB have put up prices in Germany recently? I havent checked for a while

Fair point regarding the cost of a new car at the factory gate, but keep in mind that MB UK's operational costs in the UK (and the dealers' costs) are not affected by the Euro exchange rate.

Fair point regarding the cost of a new car at the factory gate, but keep in mind that MB UK's operational costs in the UK (and the dealers' costs) are not affected by the Euro exchange rate.

Can't see that, surely the dealer is in effect only an importer, or someone is, so maybe it is they who should be reducing prices :D watch out, another flock of pigs flying over :D :D

Anybody buying an MB in the UK and not financing it must be mad, buy in Germany to UK spec pay in Euro's and save yourself a fortune. That is of course unless MB have put up prices in Germany recently? I havent checked for a while
In 2000 I bought a top spec golf direct from a VW dealer in Munich and saved £4,000 on the the best price I could get in the UK; with the way the euro is going similar opportunities may be soon available.

In 2000 I bought a top spec golf direct from a VW dealer in Munich and saved £4,000 on the the best price I could get in the UK; with the way the euro is going similar opportunities may be soon available.

Yes I agree, It's a shame there aren't more RHD used vehicles in Europe, although Southern Ireland is a good place but vehicles tend to be lower spec.

Can't see that, surely the dealer is in effect only an importer, or someone is, so maybe it is they who should be reducing prices :D watch out, another flock of pigs flying over :D :D

Importer or otherwise, the dealer pays his staff salaries' in GBP, not in Euro. He also pays rent for the premises in Euro, as well as Business Rates, electricity bill, phone bills, etc etc.... so this part of his cost does not come down when the Euro weakens.

The same goes for MB UK - they have fancy offices and members of staff, all of which need to be paid from the profit MB make on selling and servicing cars in the UK.

But the real reason UK prices are not affected by the Euro exchange rate is different, in my view... I think that MB price their cars in the UK based on what they can get away with, and not base on some 'cost plus' calculation.

Importer or otherwise, the dealer pays his staff salaries' in GBP, not in Euro. He also pays rent for the premises in Euro, as well as Business Rates, electricity bill, phone bills, etc etc.... so this part of his cost does not come down when the Euro weakens.

The same goes for MB UK - they have fancy offices and members of staff, all of which need to be paid from the profit MB make on selling and servicing cars in the UK.

But the real reason UK prices are not affected by the Euro exchange rate is different, in my view... I think that MB price their cars in the UK based on what they can get away with, and not base on some 'cost plus' calculation.

There is some true in what you said, but MB UK is probably invoiced in Euros and therefore has plus incomes because of higher exchange rate. Their price consists of purchase price + 'cost plus' + overheads + margin. Otherwise they wouldn't have such fancy offices with marble, and management in AMGs and dressed like City bankers. Personally I don't think that regular sales staff is paid so good (buy the look of their grim faces). The only influence of exchange rates is on purchase price and as such is just a small portion of total price we have to pay. Issue for us is that even this tiny minus bit is not implemented in final showroom price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom