£100 124 please ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I trust you are joking.....:crazy: :crazy:

I've just read that website, and anyone comtemplating it after reading items such as "What does it cost" and "What does totally unsupported mean" are in need of urgent medical attention....LOL

Good luck to all of 'em, especially these guys

http://www.teamredspider.com/

Last edited:
I'd be quite happy just to get to France.

Then we meet up with Bob and have that long promised glass of wine .... sigh .... :cool:

I dunno about you guys but I saw this a few months ago and thought "Wow, what a fantastic idea!"

I mean it would just be too easy in a Landcruiser wouldnt it? This would be a real adventure IMO. Something to tell the grandchildren about and all that.

I have always fancied doing an african rallye on a bike - The Paris Dakar is waaaaay too much money, the Optic 2000 is much much
cheaper but this Plymouth-Dakar thing looks like even my megre disposable income could handle it. Shame there isnt a bike entry tho.

I am seriously contemplating entering for next year..... That is of course dependant on coming up with some reasonable plausible justification for the excercise that I could get past the missus. :rolleyes:

I dunno about doing it in a mercedes estate what with the rear wheel drive in the sand though. They gonna be good at pushing by the end I think.

Originally posted by Kinky
I'd be quite happy just to get to France.

So it's a booze cruise then Kinky :D :D

A Panda in the Desert

You are so right, our Fiat Panda 4x4 better known as The Dakar Destroyer is indeed the ultimate car to drive from East Sussex to The Gambia in. We'll be setting of on Boxing Day for the 3 week, 4,000 mile drive...umm, wish us luck.
The Desert Prats
www.desertprats.com

Its a shame I didnt know about your trip a few months ago... I happen to know the whereabouts of a complete Y10 Turbo engine and ancilliaries. It would bolt straight into your Panda, runs at a little over 110 BHP, giving a top speed at around 125mph and due to the lowered compression, would run better on 'third world fuel' than standard.

Oh well.... I wish you all the best and in a slightly masochistic way, I rather envy you! :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

I fully support everything that Sp!ke says ...

erm - I don't mean the availability of a useful engine, but the fact that I wish you all the very best, and yeah - I'm highly envious !

Good luck.

K

Sp!ke,with all due respect,i think the Desertprats priority is going to be reliability given their choice of machine.A 125 mph Fiat Panda tackling 40 ft sand dunes,random boulders and stray camels does not make for longlevity.

Actually there is a school and medical centre in Nyofelleh in The Gambia that were seriously excited to hear that The Panda was going to be given to them if...umm...when it arrives in their country. All the other cars in the rally will be auctioned in Banjul and the money raised will be donated to local charities. Bless

esox wrote
Sp!ke,with all due respect,i think the Desertprats priority is going to be reliability given their choice of machine.A 125 mph Fiat Panda tackling 40 ft sand dunes,random boulders and stray camels does not make for longlevity.

Yeah I take your point but I think you missed mine. :eek:

Which engine will be under more strain throughout the ordeal in power sapping sand and heat? A 45bhp engine running at its absolute max or a 110bhp factory turbo intercooled engine, hardly breaking sweat?

Last edited:
Depends if they keep it under 30mph,hare and the tortoise `n all that.I expect they just want to finish for the sponsorship.Also you cant go and give a 110bhp Panda to all those medical students in Nyofelleh whose only previous experience of motorised transport has been an NSU Quickly--thats a recipe for disaster!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom