£15 and only 65 miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigwill

Car
A class
Hi all I have a 1999 a-class 1.4 petrol.
My fuel light came on so I put £15 @£1.33, and in just 65 miles it came on again :dk: is this about right as I have not had the car long.
Thanks for any info

If you are going to get a realisitc feel for consumption you need to brim the tank, drive it for a reasonable distance, say 200 miles over a range of different roads and condiitons, brim it again and then calcualte the amount of fuel you have used. It is impossible to say if you had used all the fuel you had topped up with,the 65 miles may have just been suffcient to trigger the light again.

Without sounding rude.... £15 get you no where today in "most" cars... I'd say 65 miles is pretty good... You don't say the journeys your doing.. For a 99 car I'd say it's not far off and also the 1400cc engine may be working hard....
£15 in my car gets it out of the garage!! :))

Quick estimate is that your car is doing 29mpg.

If that was town driving or small journeys stop start then probably about right, if you filled up when the light first came on then you are looking at approx 26mpg

This is doing short trips, all so I've smelt petrol when I pulled up at some lights this morning (first start drove about 2mins then stopped at the lights on a hill) I've seen something about the flexi pipe clips need replacing so might have a look at that as it may be a leak.
Thanks will

If you are smelling Petrol, I would get it looked at straight away rather than risk a Fire, Get it seen to without further delay, I have seen too many Car fires and its not a pleasant sight.
BAZZER1

If you are smelling Petrol, I would get it looked at straight away rather than risk a Fire, Get it seen to without further delay, I have seen too many Car fires and its not a pleasant sight.
BAZZER1

I've only smelt it once but if I do again I will have it looked at

Do it quick before someone shoots you down in flames.....

Had it looked at and there is no fuel leak! So don't know why I smelt fuel but as I said it was only once...
Now I've done some motorway miles 200 miles for £30 @ £127.9 per ltr how do I work it out? Thanks

Now I've done some motorway miles 200 miles for £30 @ £127.9 per ltr how do I work it out?

Hope my sums are correct here but there are about 4.55 litres in an imperial gallon, so £1.279 /litre works out at £5.82 per gallon. £30 would buy you 5.16 gals and if you used this much over 200 miles then you were getting 38.8mpg on average.

They may not be a fuel leak but I would put money on the charcoal canister being blocked. It is located by the fuel filter

Had it looked at and there is no fuel leak! So don't know why I smelt fuel but as I said it was only once...
Now I've done some motorway miles 200 miles for £30 @ £127.9 per ltr how do I work it out? Thanks

You can tell us the amount you spent and the price per litre...why not just tell us the number of litres...then multiply by 0.22 (in your head) and you have the gallons...it's easy from there.

Hope my sums are correct here but there are about 4.55 litres in an imperial gallon, so £1.279 /litre works out at £5.82 per gallon. £30 would buy you 5.16 gals and if you used this much over 200 miles then you were getting 38.8mpg on average.

Thank you for the reply
Do you know what the a-class used to get when new? Nice to see what 13 years has done :thumb:
It was raining and very windy too so that would not of helped ...

You can tell us the amount you spent and the price per litre...why not just tell us the number of litres...then multiply by 0.22 (in your head) and you have the gallons...it's easy from there.

I forgot how many ltrs I put in.

They may not be a fuel leak but I would put money on the charcoal canister being blocked. It is located by the fuel filter

Never heard about one of them! What is it? can I replace it easy? Are they costly? Is there a DIY Gide to unblock? Thank you :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom