£225 for a spare key, there must be a cheaper way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reggie musson

Car
CLK 2.7 Diesel
I only have the one key for my 2004 CLK and would like a spare to be on the safe side, but at Mercedes want £225.....ouch
I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative as I understand any key can be programmed to any mercedes of the same mark.
So I was wondering if I could source a used radio key, get it programmed to my car and get a key blade cut, this must be a cheaper way.
Anyone done this ?

I only have the one key for my 2004 CLK and would like a spare to be on the safe side, but at Mercedes want £225.....ouch
I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative as I understand any key can be programmed to any mercedes of the same mark.
So I was wondering if I could source a used radio key, get it programmed to my car and get a key blade cut, this must be a cheaper way.
Anyone done this ?

Don't think it is possible for MB's of the last decade or so - do a search - much discussed topic.

Apparently other manufacturers charge much more! I paid Mercedes £60 for my 202 key a few years ago.

Approximately 10 years ago, spare key prices went through the roof. I once needed a replacement key for my w202 which was around £50 but now £££. There is no real reason, just car manufacturers gouging the customer.
Keys do need to be programmed to the car and any "lost" keys need to be deactivated. I guess this is now factored into the costs whereas before it wasn't.

£350 was the price Porsche OPC quoted a friend for a new key to his Cayenne!

There is a well known car supermarket near us that has a "One key policy". In other words they only ever give you one key even if both are available. I suspect its because a lot of their stock is ex hire fleet. Cant understand why anyone would buy a car from them if they knew the cost of new keys for modern cars.
Back on topic main dealer is the only reliable source. There are people who claim to reprogramme keys but largely it does not work.

you can reprogram the keys but you need to have the correct equipment and use the EIS for the car and set it up to the ecu at the end it costs about the same only very small saving

Give mark a call at mercedes replacement keys in Birmingham.

Give mark a call at mercedes replacement keys in Birmingham.

Do you have contact details as Google doesn't show any obvious hits?

...or is he at the main dealer in Central Birmingham?

Approximately 10 years ago, spare key prices went through the roof. I once needed a replacement key for my w202 which was around £50 but now £££. There is no real reason, just car manufacturers gouging the customer.
Keys do need to be programmed to the car and any "lost" keys need to be deactivated. I guess this is now factored into the costs whereas before it wasn't.

Ermmmm, no it isn't, you still have to pay around £60 to get the lost/stolen key deactivated...

Hi,check your house insurance,some policies cover loss of keys,not only house keys but garage and car keys.

The stealers do have you over a barrel on this 1.
Twice for 2 different cars I've had to go to them.

Do you have contact details as Google doesn't show any obvious hits?

...or is he at the main dealer in Central Birmingham?

It;s the link below Dec put in, ask for Mark and tell him Ian on the forum recommended him.

How do you deactivate a lost key ?

Thanks for this one, just hope I never need them.

Ermmmm, no it isn't, you still have to pay around £60 to get the lost/stolen key deactivated...

I didn't when mine was replaced. Just paid for the key. My lost key was deactivated and the new one activated. It took them no time at all. You was robbed.

There is a register of keys held by the EIS. A lost key is deactivated from the registry.

Presumably to nullify a lost or stolen key from being used to steal your car then ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom