£24. Really?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The profit is made form from sales of replacement ink cartridges over the life of the printer.

If you check how much ink the cartridge contains in cc... then work-out the price per cc... it's more expensive than liquid gold :)

ah yeah ok..., I haven't bought one for a while, last one was £100 or so.

They want to get you on the "instant ink" service which is where they make the most profit and guarantee that you are not using third party ink refills.

Yup Canon has a similar scheme ... genuine cartridges are far cheaper from somewhere like 7DayShop

instant ink only have limited ink in them... also inkjets are rubbish for occasional use as the ink dries out !

my black laser has been going for 8 years on the same cartridge!

Also worth mentioning that HP printers throw tantrums if you put any other manufacturers cartridge in them. There are some that you can ignore the error message on but others just will not have it. Bought one for work for a hundred quid, felt quite smug until the £400 quid toner needed changing......... and yes, you guessed it, refuses to work with off brand toner.......

I've spent £000 on printers and cartridges until I finally found the one that works as it's written on a tin - PRINTS a lot with one ink refill - Epson ET-2500. Genuine Epson inks come in bottles and you refill the cartridges. The last black refill lasted 9 reams (4500 invoice prints so not all black) of A4 80gsm papers and I just used the other half of an ink bottle to top it up.

All printers (inkjet and laser) are provided with 'starting cartridges'.

These are cartridges that have a very small amount of ink in them.

We always recommend to customers that they should purchase a full cartridge set with the new printer (either standard capacity or XL).

Bl00dy hell guys, we've tapped a real font (see what I did there :D ) of knowledge there.

A lot of printers now come with special cartridges containing only just enough ink to install & test :(
I worked with a guy a few years ago who in turn had worked for a certain Lord who has an association with apprentices ;)

A company run by that certain Lord introduced a home fax machine to the British public at a ludicrously cheap price in the late 1980's. When customers bought one they found that they'd be able to print one or two short faxes, and then there seemed to be a problem with the ink supply. So off they'd trot to the shop and by another cartridge which would then work fine. Little did they know that the cartridge fitted to the machine contained very little ink. Just enough, in fact, to convince them that the machine was working before it ran out. They also didn't know that the fax machine was retailed at a loss to the manufacturer, but the machine plus a replacement ink cartridge put the deal into profit...

I never use real HP cartridges as they are more expensive than white truffle shavings.

Aftermarket give reasonable quality, certainly enough for home printing and are like 100th the price.

I worked with a guy a few years ago who in turn had worked for a certain Lord who has an association with apprentices ;)

A company run by that certain Lord introduced a home fax machine to the British public at a ludicrously cheap price in the late 1980's. When customers bought one they found that they'd be able to print one or two short faxes, and then there seemed to be a problem with the ink supply. So off they'd trot to the shop and by another cartridge which would then work fine. Little did they know that the cartridge fitted to the machine contained very little ink. Just enough, in fact, to convince them that the machine was working before it ran out. They also didn't know that the fax machine was retailed at a loss to the manufacturer, but the machine plus a replacement ink cartridge put the deal into profit...

Didn't one of the Beatles release a song about him? "My Sweet Lord...."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom