£25/day to drive in London...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
Here we go, then.....

LONDON (Reuters) - Owners of gas-guzzling cars will have to pay 25 pounds a day to drive them in central London from October, mayor Ken Livingstone said on Tuesday.
(Advertisement)

The decision, following a year of consultations, is part of a package that Livingstone is bringing in to cut London's carbon emissions by 60 percent by 2025.

"I believe that this ground breaking initiative will have an impact throughout the world with other cities following suit as they step up their efforts to halt the slide towards catastrophic climate change," he told a news conference.

Livingstone, who has made the environment a central plank of his tenure, is facing a tough re-election battle in May in which green issues have featured heavily.

London, which generates some 7 percent of Britain's climate-warming carbon emissions, is in a vanguard of a group of 40 major cities worldwide pooling their knowledge to play their part in fighting climate change.

The city's plan is far more ambitious than legislation going through parliament to cut national emissions of the main greenhouse gas carbon dioxide by 60 percent by 2050.

The 25 pound daily tax on vehicles in central London's Congestion Charge zone emitting 225 grammes of carbon dioxide per kilometre would apply in the same way as the normal eight pounds daily charge does to all but the cleanest cars.

But to force home the environmental point of a congestion scheme that initially had no green goal, the exemption granted to residents in the zone will be removed from drivers of the polluting four-wheel drive and top-end luxury cars.

That means that the owner of a gas-guzzler who chooses to drive in the zone every day will end up paying 6,500 pounds a year for the privilege.

Glad I bought a C200K and not something bigger now. Just squeezes under red kens limit. Hopefully he wont be in power in October...........

I dont li ve in London but that man is an absolute baboon - the sooner you londoners pack his bags the better.

I'm one of the affected people - and where I currently am eligible for the residents discount for someone inside the zone, that discount no longer will apply and I will have to pay the full 25 quid a day charge.

Will I get another car? Over my dead body! :D

£25 charge for 225g/co2/km or above only. Below 225g remains at £8 per day.
I think my C200K (with sports pack) is 215g/km.

What an awful lot of the populous dont yet get is that it will affect them. They all think that its the 4x4 drivers that will be hit purely because of the marketing spin that Red Ken and his numpties have put on it.

Pretty much anyone who drives an average car will be hit. Hopefully, as others have said, he wont have any power soon. We can hope........

Oh ok, so even if you have a band F vehicle, it may not apply unless emissions are at 225?

The £25 charge will apply to ALL vehicles who currently pay band G VED.
Those in bands A-F will pay £8.

As the rules stand as of today.

It is midleading and a pity that many of the headlines, and indeed Ken's own quote, refers to "4x4 Chelsea Tractors". The fact remains that many more modest family cars are going to be caught by this new charge and that jo public needs to be made more aware of this fact - so that they may voice their concerns more loudly.

I think its been spun as if to catch Portia,, Alicia and her other Sloane friends in their Vw Touregs/Merc MLs etc etc, safe in the knowledge that this is not likely to illicit much sympathy from the public at large.

Wait for the second hand values of certain cars to drop as people realise their annual costs are about to rise by £6,500.

Apologies for the rant - I don't even live in London. But I do know that if someone told me my choice of car meant an additonal £6,500 in running costs it would have to go. End of.

Is there any change proposed to the charging zone? I thought it was to be increased?

And I do hope ministerial (MPs) Jaguars et al are not excluded - oh no, not a problem, they'll claim back off expenses...............

Whatever the rules mean now, he will continue to tighten them forever more until he is got rid of or bled us all dry.
He has a simple formula - tax the affluent, there are less of them and they dont vote for him anyway.
The "poor" and "down trodden" think he's wonderful and he wants their votes.
He has no concept of ambition, enterprise and upward mobility - just cronyism and hand outs (of dubious legality) to those that he considers useful to him.

Pathetic of the tories to have put boris up to fight him - he doesn't stand a cat in hell's chance of toppling the dictator.

I know what the rules are :rolleyes:

My question is, as band F goes to 225, does that mean if your car emits 225 (even at band F) will it pay the £25

Band F goes up to and includes 225g/km.
Band G starts at 226g/km (according to the DVLA website).

For definitive information, refer to this website...........

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/new-ved.asp

You can type in your cars details here to check on vehicle specific VED banding....

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/search.asp

should this not answer your questions, contact the DVLA.

Last edited:
A few points:
  1. This policy will have zero effect on climate change for a number of reasons (which I'm not going to debate in this thread);
  2. The limit will be 225g/km in October 2008, but what will it be next year? And what about in another 5 years? Expect a "ratchet" process to appear once the initial furore has died down;
  3. What has the rate of emissions of any vehicle got to do with how much road congestion it causes? Nothing. The London Congestion Charge is now proven (as many have suspected) to be nothing to do with congestion and everything to do with taxation;
  4. Once the technology infrastructure is in place to make pay as you drive schemes viable, that technology can and will be used for all sorts of schemes that are nothing to do with the original justification. Trojan Horse, anyone?

A few points:
  1. This policy will have zero effect on climate change for a number of reasons (which I'm not going to debate in this thread);
  2. The limit will be 225g/km in October 2008, but what will it be next year? And what about in another 5 years? Expect a "ratchet" process to appear once the initial furore has died down;
  3. What has the rate of emissions of any vehicle got to do with how much road congestion it causes? Nothing. The London Congestion Charge is now proven (as many have suspected) to be nothing to do with congestion and everything to do with taxation;
  4. Once the technology infrastructure is in place to make pay as you drive schemes viable, that technology can and will be used for all sorts of schemes that are nothing to do with the original justification. Trojan Horse, anyone?

Yes. Its simply the birth of road charging. Nothing more or less. It doesnt matter what label you hang on it.
It will spread until it engulfs the entire M25 and I am sure it wont stop there if Gordon and Ken have any say in the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom