£268 for R129 mirror glass😳

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swithin

Car
99 SL500, 2014 C250 AMG Sport +, 2016 C220d, Range Rover 4.2sc, Mini Cooper S
Got the shock of my life yesterday when Mercedes quoted me £268 for wing mirror glass for my 1999 R129. Fortunately they don’t make it anymore. The only place I’ve found one is on eBay for £17. Heated but no auto dim. For a saving of £250 I can do without auto dimming, which I’ve not really noticed in my 19 years of ownership.

Wow, but I think all MB heated/dimming mirrors are pretty expensive (not just an R129 thing).

Definitely not just an MB thing. As said, the auto dimming variants are expensive. It's due to them having liquid inside them.

Yeah I think they are called ‘electrochromic’ mirrors

Strange you got a price for a NLA part.
There is alot of tech in those mirrors.
Did you try the SL shop.
You might miss auto dimming in the future

Didn’t think about the SL shop. Will look now and if good value will keep the ebay one as a spare. I’m already spending a fortune on the old girl, new softie, rust on wings, interior redurb. It’s relative the R230 has already cost me £2k in extra repairs in last 12 months

Now you know why it's called the stealership!

Did you notice if your glass turned yellow bronzed or liquid seeping out from the mirror glass?
Liquid could damage paint on doors.

Now you know why it's called the stealership!

Did you notice if your glass turned yellow bronzed or liquid seeping out from the mirror glass?
Liquid could damage paint on doors.
It’s permanently bronzed on the bottom half

Dimming mirror glasses for all MB models have been around £300 for years, £268 is actually quite reasonable if it were still available to order. I would consider buying one if it were me - would be annoying if you couldn’t get one in a few years time! :)

I’ve not really noticed in my 19 years of ownership.
Didn't know it did that. My mirrors have a vertical line down them, like a safe zone area, are these stock. As i say, not noticed them dimming

I had the rear view mirror and the drivers door mirror go at the same time on my W215 CL55 :mad::wallbash:

It’s permanently bronzed on the bottom half

Sorry to say, mirror is going bad and needs to be replaced.
It takes many years for this to happen mirror turning bronzed

Sorry to say, mirror is going bad and needs to be replaced.
It takes many years for this to happen mirror turning bronzed
I’ve got one arriving from eBay so will see how that looks. If no good then it’s a call to SL shop and R129.uk in Kent. My SL is 22 years old this year so I’m impressed at how long it lasted, not so impressed that they don’t make it anymore for the car.

Knock on woody. ;)
My mirrors are also 22 years old, but still in perfect shape without bronzing yet!?
We're all going to expect future issues with autodim mirrors?

I guess it's a hit or miss with mirrors how long they last?

Just thought i'd update. The ebay glass no good as it was a 2-pin and I need a 5-pin. Found someone who can repair the original (remove the liquid) for £45 + postage. Can't find a repair anywhere except the USA.

As far as I am aware it's only the drivers side that dims. So if you buy a right hand door mirror from a country with LHD cars you will get a non dimming item.

Or did I dream that bit up 🤷‍♂️ 🤔 ?

I had the same shock with the ML
Stone from a passing car flew up and hit the drivers side mirror glass and cracked it (just how my luck goes :doh:)
Just got a cheap heated glass off the bay and never missed the Auto-dim

The good thing about Ebay, is that they often show the back of the mirrors, you can then check the fittings, they seem to vary wildly. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom