£30 to call the doctors for an appointment

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by mercmanuk, Mar 16, 2011.

1. mercmanuk

mercmanuk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
    just received my online mobile phone bill,should be £15 month this month its £45.ive called my provider and they have said i called an 0844 number thats £1.50 per minute,turns out its my doctors.yes when you phone for an apointment and are held in a que for 20 minutes.
    20 minutes £1.50=£30

i intend calling the practise manager and writing to my local free paper and manchester evening news

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  3. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    Better directed to your mobile phone supplier. These are low cost numbers, about 5p per minute from a landline. Who's making the profit?!

4. A-AvantGarde

A-AvantGarde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 BMW F86 X6 M, 2016 BMW F30 320d, 2001 Mercedes C320 Elegance
    Agree, 0844 is a class of fixed rate numbers (not quite local rate though). calling from a BT line there would be a maximum per minute call charge. Mobiles and otehr networks would (& do vary).

I had a similar thing where we often used 0870 numbers from a conferencing service, some of my team would often rack up £100+ / month when we looked into it our mobile provider was charging much more than the 10p / min it was from a landline.

5. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    Why would a dr practise use a 0844 number when most callers are local? Do they get a cut? Why not an 0845 number at least. A lot of landline providers with free call packages don't charge for 0845 numbers but they do for 0844. Hmmm wonder why the difference?

Call me a cynic but it smacks of pigs with snouts in troughs.

6. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    I don't think they get a cut, As far as I know this is part of a surgery management package, the people who install it get the cut, the GP simply get a very good deal on the initial cost of the admin setup which he/she prefers not to be bothered with anyway.