£3000 workhorse needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evdok

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Hi all,

Finally sold my workhorse (1996 VW POLO 1.6 158,000MLS) and am looking to replace it with something to the budget of £3k, has to be cheap to maintain,good mpg, enough poke to at least overtake & is relatively modern, must have 5 seats...thinking caps on guys!:)

I know of a 98k miles, 300 4 matic, with a full service history, saloon, going for £1000 :eek: And everything inside and outside works as it should. Have pics if you want them.

I have a 1.9tdi Audi A4 Quattro, very red with black leather, not a merc but there is an offer there, some pics on

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=48303

12 months ticket and 6 months tax purchased today, looking for as close to 3k as possible as thats what I paid for it and thats what glasses think its worth, even though mine has options like BOSE stereo and only 115k, also averages 50 odd mpg,

am away from 5-13th March, but you wil get mates rates from the site if you make an offer.........

W124 estate, pick up a decent one for £2k then have £1000 to spend on petrol so economy is less important :)

Assuming petrol is about £4.50 a gallon your £1000 buys you just over 220 gallons of fuel - an e320 will average 30 mpg so your first 6500 miles are free!!

Andy

Needs to be small and cheap to maintain if it goes wrong.

Needs to be small and cheap to maintain if it goes wrong.

you never mentioned "small" in your fist post :)

W124s are relatively cheap to maintain and easy enough to fix. w123s more so but getting increasingly harder to find good ones at the right price.

Not really small though :)

Hi all,

Finally sold my workhorse (1996 VW POLO 1.6 158,000MLS) and am looking to replace it with something to the budget of £3k, has to be cheap to maintain,good mpg, enough poke to at least overtake & is relatively modern, must have 5 seats...thinking caps on guys!:)
Ford Ka comes to mind. Can get a reasonably low mileage one for that money. No Merc is really cheap to maintain and for £3k you can only get an older one with the likelihood of repairs therefore quite high.

Are you aiming for a Merc or any make of small car?

You can buy an old E class and be lucky as my nephew has. Been running for 3 years with 150k on the clock and no problems. But others, naturally, have hit repairs. Older cars are a bit of a lottery. If you are on a tight budget then a more modern Ford or VW may suit you better.

We've got a 96/P Audi A4 1.9 TDi auto estate (110 bhp) which touch wood has been incredibly reliable and has no rust whatsoever, despite being washed once a year a most :eek:

It's on about 110k miles at present, if it died I would certainly consider another ... depends how small you want. Volvo V40 might be another option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom