£30k to spend on a car. What do you go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's why Lotus went on to develop cars like the Exige etc as their customers complained about lack of power. I used to demo the Elise and like the MX5 its a very well balanced drivers car but they are just not quick enough for fast road or track use but fine for a Sunday drive out

That's why Lotus went on to develop cars like the Exige etc as their customers complained about lack of power. I used to demo the Elise and like the MX5 its a very well balanced drivers car but they are just not quick enough for fast road or track use but fine for a Sunday drive out

They developed the exige as a proportion of customers wanted more power.
They still sell the base model, which is slower to 60 than the original S1.
If you're uncomfortable with anything that takes over 6 seconds then who are we to question that, but I'm not with you.
I sold a VX220 turbo for a W211 E320 and was perfectly happy with it.
Horses for courses.

I thought the slowest Exige was about 4 secs whilst the slowest Elise was about 6.5?? Didnt realise there was an Exige that slow

Yes i am, but haven't got enough funds till well into next year.

PM me and I'll pass the owners details on if you like.

Just one word of caution, he is a very straight, busy, well connected & respected car person in Auckland. Nice bloke once you get to know him but please be straight up with him - you may get a nice surprise with this car. :):)

MX-5 is well underpowered I've got a Cosworth YBT engine and Ferguson MT 5 transmission which I plan to drop into an MX5 Mk3 this winter should be good for 300 bhp

I say would you mind opening up a thread on that on here - please....? :)

Drive the R231 SL and compare it to the R172 SLK.

the SLK55 may be the same sort of price as the SL, the SL is by far the more advanced car.

Your not far off a Maser GT S 4.7 for that which would be my choice.

Your not far off a Maser GT S 4.7 for that which would be my choice.

Interesting! I hadn't seen any 4.7's for £30K or there abouts.

BTW I hate it when people call them "Masers", don't know why but IMO it just doesn't sound good.

EDIT: Quick look on Autotrader and I would need to spend another £7k to get the 4.7.

Last edited:
I know of one recently that went for low 30's....maybe 33k as an educated questimate.

They're really coming down in price then, as, about a year ago GTs were the first cars I looked at. They were typically around £50k for 2009 models.

The early 2007 4.2 GT's are dropping under 25k now and getting close to hitting 20k. Earlier good GranSports & 4200's are starting to rise.

The early 2007 4.2 GT's are dropping under 25k now and getting close to hitting 20k. Earlier good GranSports & 4200's are starting to rise.

I'm talking Granturismo's not GranSport's or 4200's.

So was I...just saying that GT's are still dropping & GS's & 4200's have bottomed and are bouncing up now.

I would convert my w124 to electric. Sacrilege i know.
Wow. What battery and motor system would you use?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom