£30k to spend on a twin-mobile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jwarren

Car
C350e
Hi

I currently have a W203 and having just discovered that the wife is having twins :crazy: , and that I already have a mad 6 year old :devil: , I need a larger car that can take three child seats in the back.

I have about £30k to spend and need opinions on either a new W204 (but not much backseat width), or should I go for an E class, which is 30cm wider, or a Chelsea Tractor ML.

So confused its beyond reason.

So, any parents with larger broods, please let me know your opinions. Was getting a CLK Cabrio until this new discovery!

Thanks

Congratulations!!

We only have one daughter, but my wife often takes friends out in the ML - ours is a W163 but you could get a W164 with a £30k budget.

We can get two ISO-fix baby/child seats on each side, and a booster style seat in the middle. A bit of a squeeze but do-able.

How about an R-Class - only drawback being one would sit in the very back row on their own, unless you opt for a 2008 model year car with the 7th seat.

Congratulations once more.

Congratulations.
I can get 2 booster seats and a baby seat across in the back in my W164. It is a bit of a squeeze to get them in but not too bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Congrats. I did consider the R Class, but there was just something nagging me about it from a "it aint that pretty" look, but the idea of stuffing my son right at the back sounds tempting, bless him!!!

I don't know about the 204, but in my 203 a toddler seat really takes out most of the middle seat as well. I can't imagein the 204 being much if any better. Don't forget that while the new born baby seat is reasonably bulky, the 18month + is even worse. I also find that my daughter loves scuffing the back of the passanger seat, no matter what I put on to protect it. We got around it with an Espace as a family car, and the MB which I use for work.

I would be surprised if the 6 year old did not complain (although sutch between two sibblings be prepared for fights in the future!)

Good luck and congratulations!

David
David

We have a 5 year old, a 7 year old, and a newborn baby. They do all fit in the back of our Audi A4, but there's only a lap belt in the middle :(

The other issue with the Audi (and I understand many other cars) is that the seatbelts are only just long enough to go round the baby carrier.

The Vito is perfect ... newborn goes in the centre front seat (no passenger airbags), and the other two go in the back. There's a 3rd rear reat (making 6 in total) but we leave it out for a bit of extra floorspace. The seatbelts are longer, too.

The in-laws have a LWB R Class. You do need the LWB one really, if you're going to use the rearmost row of seats. It's a nice car (350, petrol) but it's longer than our Vito Long!

Hi

Speaking from experience there is only one Merc that will suit you and it is a 7 seat E Class. Nothing else cuts it. Friends have 163 ML and just doesnt compare.
Get integregated booster seats in the rear and it will be part of the family for years, kinda like an Aga in the kitchen.

Go on you know you want to. £30K will get you less than year old diesel too.

I wouldnt use anything else.

By the way my lot are 8yrs, 8yrs,(not twins!!) 6yrs, 4 yrs, & 4months.

Good luck with your choice

I too have three kids - a five year old, and three year old twins. The seven seater E class is perfect for this combination!

-simon

Flame suit on but the Volvo XC90 would fit the bill :eek:

I currently have a 2007 ML. Before that, last year, had the X5 and the year before that the XC90. In the past I had the E320T and that was fantastic but the best family car is the Volvo. My W164 is for sale in 2 months though. It will be 12 months and 12k miles but a bit over your £30k.

Hi

I currently have a W203 and having just discovered that the wife is having twins :crazy: , and that I already have a mad 6 year old :devil: , I need a larger car that can take three child seats in the back.

I have about £30k to spend and need opinions on either a new W204 (but not much backseat width), or should I go for an E class, which is 30cm wider, or a Chelsea Tractor ML.

So confused its beyond reason.

So, any parents with larger broods, please let me know your opinions. Was getting a CLK Cabrio until this new discovery!

Thanks

If you are buying on finance, the GL may be worth a look. There are some fantastic MB finance packages, including £7K deposit contributions available. If buying a 4x4 a PCP is a good option in order to be somewhat protected from future market turbulence in the off road market. Just a thought.

Congratulations!
If you are not a fashion victim, do not live at the top of a mountain and suspect that fuel prices will continue to rise...then go with an E class estate.
Seven seats and a modern diesel engine will be ideal for a growing family;)

Oh! and you can get around in comfort:D

Congrads,

I like the R class but not many people seem to, you could lease them for £399 a month at one point?

I also like the Volvo XC90 and they ARE big inside and also very kid freindly, lots of design features that have been thought about.

If you want merc I guess The E class, R class or ML's ?

Some good choice around at the price though especially a year or so old..

Congratulations! I saw the thread title and assumed you were buying 2x iPhones for the money?! :eek: I'm a twin, and my parents were really pleased - as toddlers we kept each other amused and didn't fight. Apart from the space and expense, twins are a good thing!

Congratulations!
If you are not a fashion victim, do not live at the top of a mountain and suspect that fuel prices will continue to rise...then go with an E class estate.
Seven seats and a modern diesel engine will be ideal for a growing family;)

Oh! and you can get around in comfort:D

How about an A6? Better value used....

Spend 30K on a car you are going to transport 3 kids around in :eek:

As others I'd go for the older 7 seat E class estate, spend the change on a 3 year CLK 320 coupe:D

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom