£4000 budget, what car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Audi A8

I have been put off Alfa 75s for one reason.

I do like the cars and indeed nearly bought one a few decades ago, but got an Audi 80E instead. It came with one of those useless warranties, but the exclusions in the small print were interesting.

Apart from the exotica such as Roll Royce etc., they singled out Aston Martins and Alfa 75s as not covered. Not Alfa Romeos, just the 75.

that's weird, I owned one for 2 years and did 15,000 trouble free miles in it but maybe I had a Monday and not a Friday car

that's weird, I owned one for 2 years and did 15,000 trouble free miles in it but maybe I had a Monday and not a Friday car

my guess :dk: its the 75's transaxle schema that's scares em — mounting the standard five-speed gearbox in the rear connected to the rear differential

Alfa Romeo 2.4 159 JTDm

Alfa_159_grey.jpg

You did well, deffo a Monday car :D

One of first companies I worked for had 75's & 164's for management, courtesy of Alfa GB. Great to drive especially the 75 but there was always one in the local dealer for repair and to compound matters the dealer was useless, even suggesting that we call Alfa GB and get them to replace the cars! Fond memories all the same. No, wouldn't have either with my own money.

my guess :dk: its the 75's transaxle schema that's scares em — mounting the standard five-speed gearbox in the rear connected to the rear differential

I doubt it's that, more like the non existence of any build quality overall.

Bentley GT Flying Spur / A8 platform....if you search you will probably find the W12 6L version (Bentley GT engine non turbo) within budget, this was £60k new...VW built a state of the art assy plant in Dresden for this car so build quality is A1...hard to beat comfy limo if you can live with the VW badge:eek::D

Volkswagen Phaeton 3.2 V6 4dr [5 Seat] Auto

Bentley GT Flying Spur / A8 platform....if you search you will probably find the W12 6L version (Bentley GT engine non turbo) within budget, this was £60k new...VW built a state of the art assy plant in Dresden for this car so build quality is A1...hard to beat comfy limo if you can live with the VW badge:eek::D

Bloody hell that's a lot of car for the money!

Cheers,

Gaz

Yep I always feel they are a forgotten car...I used to work for Bentley hence why I know about them....like I said they are generally overlooked due to the VW badge in favour of the big prestige German marques, so sales were not great, the W12 version is a gem, especially if LPG:thumb:

If your worried about quality, checkout this Dresden plant clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E35RvFeHL50

Bloody hell that's a lot of car for the money!

Cheers,

Gaz

Last edited:

I have looked at these too, definitely alot of car for the money, infact maybe even a bit more than a W210

C32 amg

I have looked at these too, definitely alot of car for the money, infact maybe even a bit more than a W210

Give me a W210 all day long. Wouldn't fancy my chances if something when pop on the VW.

grober said:

Seems fair it is non std and insurers just love something unusual

Give me a W210 all day long. Wouldn't fancy my chances if something when pop on the VW.

Maybe true for the Phaeton, but the W210 likes to go into limp mode with a change in wind direction!

W210 are great cars I would depart with every car I own but not my 210 !love my old girl!! Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

mercedes w124 or w123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom