£450 Road tax on cars listed at over £40,000 when new

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
quite a few lux cars come in at list of 40-45k but with dealer discounts etc, the price might go down. I paid 38k for a MB with a list of 45k.

Paying 450 *5 would have made me reconsider....

Electric cars over £40k will also be paying £310/year tax for 5 years then?

The cheaper electric cars will be taxed the same as other cars when they become too common.
This new tax change has already started towards that.

While company car drivers aren't at liberty to alter their cars after purchase , and probably care less about tax as the car is a perk , private buyers don't have to take the car with extras , and since the purchase price will be lower then the VED will be set at that level for the life of the car . Subsequent retrofits after the car is bought and paid for , either for the first owner or by subsequent owners should not affect this . While electric windows might not be such an easy retrofit , things like alloy wheels or a radio certainly are .

Maybe but surely retro fits will be very expensive as at cost and not just an upgrade? For instance the dealer wont want a pile if basic steel wheels and tyres that no one else wants, and will charge the full price for new alloys and tyres not just the difference.
I also disagree that company cars are a perk, but agree that the road tax wont bother them just company car tax.

Last edited:
I currently pay 500 ved on a 2006 car, ridiculous yes. Always the motorist getting the bad deal.

Ian Duncan Smith face with the minimum wage what a knob!

Try getting into a Berlin or Stuttgart taxi and you'll see plenty of wind up windows .

Mercs are widely sold with pretty basic spec everywhere but the UK .

Yes, I downloaded a B class brochure which although in English included a basic model with steel wheels which isn't listed on the uk price list, and I don't think is available here.

There is a 9.5% tax increase on car insurance from November also, which will especially affect those that already pay £500 or more.

Maybe but surely retro fits will be very expensive as at cost and not just an upgrade? For instance the dealer wont want a pile if basic steel wheels and tyres that no one else wants, and will charge the full price for new alloys and tyres not just the difference.
I also disagree that company cars are a perk, but agree that the road tax wont bother them just company car tax.

That is exactly what happens now ( I got a set of 5 new Contis for my 190 a couple of months back , courtesy of a nearby dealer who ends up with steel wheels when customers upgrade to alloys as a dealer fit option ; the tyres are sold out the back door , some steel wheels go to customers for winter tyres and the scrap dealer buys the rest ) .

Such things used to be perfectly normal , and could be again .

What will happen is there will be a lot of special editions at £39995......

In reality, a £43,000 Mercedes can be bought (as a rule) for £40k....

2017 on, that same car will be £39,995 with no discount.....

quite a few lux cars come in at list of 40-45k but with dealer discounts etc, the price might go down. I paid 38k for a MB with a list of 45k.

Paying 450 *5 would have made me reconsider....

At less than £40 pm...would you really reconsider?

Not forgetting that you already would be paying some tax - so in reality it is only the difference that you need to cater for so only perhaps an extra £200 per year?

Steve

It might not put buyers of the cars when new off , but since all cars filter down into the used market , a 10 year old car with a huge VED liability will cease to be attractive to those likely to consider it .

It might not put buyers of the cars when new off , but since all cars filter down into the used market , a 10 year old car with a huge VED liability will cease to be attractive to those likely to consider it .

But the high VED is only for the first 5 years.

Yes thats good dont you think , and the work will be shelved till 2020 5 years of driving on the same old crap till then . We used to think then as you saw the work men spraying yellow paint on the holes in the road, that it was to show the road repair gang that this hole is for patching up. If you did your were wrong , because this yellow paint is to tell you there is a hole and to drive around it We dont get this now after the spending cuts.No paint .

The figures quoted are for cars falling into the zero or standard bands - oddly enough , there is mention of a 'premium' rate , but no figure has been released ...

The figures quoted are for cars falling into the zero or standard bands - oddly enough , there is mention of a 'premium' rate , but no figure has been released ...

Yes it has.

That's where the figures above are coming from.

Going by the tables I have seen there are three categories : 'zero' , 'standard' and 'premium' .

Separately from the emissions based levy in year one , cars falling into the zero category pay nothing in subsequent years , save for the £310 surcharge if they cost over £40K , 'standard' cars pay £140 plus the surcharge , makng £450 in years 2 to 5 and £140 thereafter , and 'premium' cars will pay an undisclosed sum from years 2 onwards , plus the surcharge . All cars listed in the published tables are either zero or standard rated , nothing else has been quoted .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33447106

Last edited:
The £310 surcharge is payable for 5 years. So years 2-6

I thought it was years 1-5, as that was the whole point of it that new car buyers pay in the first year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom