£471.16 for an oil change and wiperblade!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well when my car needs service I make a phone call and Mercedes Benz come to my house in an AMG estate, service my car with the proper tools using the proper parts.
My last A service cost £100 including front pads being changed and my last B service including, diff oil, gearbox oil and air con recharge was £250. I dont get my service booked stamped but as my car is out of warranty and I'm keeping it, and as you know I keep a very complete service history for my car thats not a problem!

R2D2 said:
Well when my car needs service I make a phone call and Mercedes Benz come to my house in an AMG estate, service my car with the proper tools using the proper parts.
My last A service cost £100 including front pads being changed and my last B service including, diff oil, gearbox oil and air con recharge was £250. I dont get my service booked stamped but as my car is out of warranty and I'm keeping it, and as you know I keep a very complete service history for my car thats not a problem!

Those prices are good! and sounds interesting.
When you say 'Mercedes Benz come to my house in an AMG estate' you mean 'main dealer'? and why wouldn't they stamp your service book?
- Is it a special budget service, and hence doesn't attract the dealer stamp?

Further to enquiries by PM. I cant really put my mechanics details here in case his boss reads our forum. I'll advise you how to contact him by pm to individuals who pm me first if thats OK.

Given that my W211 320Cdi is telling me it needs a "C" service in 6000 miles time, should I start saving now?

The trouble is that while you are still under warranty its hard not to bite the bullet and pay the MB rate:(

Will said:
Richie,

I would look in the service book for what a 'B' Service comprises; I am sure it is more extensive than an Oil & Filter.

Can't speak for your dealer, but most charge close to £100/hr labour, so the total may be largely because of this (body checks, all wheels off, brakes/suspension check etc etc)
Say that the Oil/Oil Filter/Pollen Filter is around £70ish, then you have your wiper blades (no idea of cost), fitting for above items (maybe 1 1/2 hours), then the checks mentioned in the service book (maybe 1 1/2 hours).

That's where the £400 odd quid goes!

Will

Hi thanks for the tips...Guess I'll need to look at the options...

Just to verify this is exactly what my dealer (Greenoaks Slough) told me was changed at the 1st B Service...

1. Pollen filter,
2. Oil and Filter change
3. Wiper Blade

The rest of the money goes into checking the levels, underneath, etc...

He did verify that they will charge EXTRA for any further work apart from the above three items... This is Robbery! :devil:

frog1520 said:
I thought a B service was more extensive than an oil change too!

If its any consolation, the stealer charged me 850 quid to fix a sticky wiper on my C180!! I nearly fell off the bloody chair.....

Claimed they had to replace the wiper motor and linkage or something. Always seemed a bit steep to me - I could hire someone to sit on top of the car and clean the windscreen with a sponge for that... :D

Oh yeah, and they didnt even put a new wiper blade on for that!!! :eek:

Since you own the parts they took off ask to see them next time.

guydewdney said:
noooooooooooooo!

greenoaks are apalling

try hughes at least - if not purslows (both local ish)

Spot on mate - I would never ever use Greenoaks of Slough again or any other of their other branches!!!!!! Absoloute rubbish. Their after sales is like a "circus".

Flash

guydewdney said:
noooooooooooooo!

greenoaks are apalling

try hughes at least - if not purslows (both local ish)

Greenoaks are great :) well they did enable my rear sam to netherlands :D

[QUOTE=fuzzer]Greenoaks are great :) well they did enable my rear sam to netherlands :D[/QUOTE]

I would not even use Greenoaks again (especially Slough) even if they were to give us free servicing for life on all our family's cars!!! :D Thats just how unprofessional and incompetent they are.

Someone I know recommended Osbornes garage in Maidenhead. I believe they describe themselves as German car speciallists, rather than specifically MB. Not used them myself, as I don't live round there any more. I think they have a fairly easy to locate website with contact details.

Hi Folks thought I give an update... had to eventually succumb to the service had it done at Greenoaks Slough whom is my dealer as they could fit me in quite quickly...

Anyway the service was completed yesterday and I picked the car up in the evening at around 5.30 paid my £500 and left however less than 20 mins along the motorway and the big red sign came up indicating that the oil had been overfilled.... Went back today and 2 hrs later had the car back, However...tonight I was driving at night when I noticed that my Xeons are not shining properly at all as if the are not projecting at the near side and not auto adjusting properly – what next I am really :crazy: at this dealer… My patience with my confidence in this dealer is really heading south... Would writing their Dealer Manager a letter achieve anything? Any suggestions would be welcomed...

PS… Haven’t checked if the wiper blades are on correctly this time…

RichieRuss2000 said:
Hi Folks thought I give an update... had to eventually succumb to the service had it done at Greenoaks Slough whom is my dealer as they could fit me in quite quickly...

Anyway the service was completed yesterday and I picked the car up in the evening at around 5.30 paid my £500 and left however less than 20 mins along the motorway and the big red sign came up indicating that the oil had been overfilled.... Went back today and 2 hrs later had the car back, However...tonight I was driving at night when I noticed that my Xeons are not shining properly at all as if the are not projecting at the near side and not auto adjusting properly – what next I am really :crazy: at this dealer… My patience with my confidence in this dealer is really heading south... Would writing their Dealer Manager a letter achieve anything? Any suggestions would be welcomed...

PS… Haven’t checked if the wiper blades are on correctly this time…

They won't learn and get better if you don't tell them. :(

Go back and ask for a personal talk to the Service Manager and spell out the problems and your frustration eye to eye. He will get the message and hopefully put things right, not just for you, but all customers. :crazy:

Ricahrd B is the Service Manager and Nick Tanner is supposed to be top dog there - never go near them again - i certainly wont!!! If you write Nick T he will just pass the letter on to Richard to deal with!!!! - Complete waste of time.

Brian WH said:
They won't learn and get better if you don't tell them. :(

Go back and ask for a personal talk to the Service Manager and spell out the problems and your frustration eye to eye. He will get the message and hopefully put things right, not just for you, but all customers. :crazy:

They never learn - trust me!!!

Small claims court ??

Dont know the actual legalities, perhaps someone can comment but what about taking or threatening a small claim to the dealership for compensation for time/travel/inconvenience to have to return the vehicle due to incompetent work that was paid for?

Its only hitting their pocket that will make it work I guess?

grasmere said:
Small claims court ??

Dont know the actual legalities, perhaps someone can comment but what about taking or threatening a small claim to the dealership for compensation for time/travel/inconvenience to have to return the vehicle due to incompetent work that was paid for?

Its only hitting their pocket that will make it work I guess?

They are allowed 3 botch up attempts resolve the problem (s) first…

These jokers seriously lack technical knowledge i.e. My Father’s CL went into have Sam Unit replaced couple of years ago but upon collection Parktronic stopped working. The Muppets diagnosed it as PTS Control Module needing replacing and said that it had nothing to do with their work!!!. So they replaced the PTS Module but it still did not work. In the end they figured out all that was required was recoding/reprogramming the initial PTS from the Star Diagnostics Computer and wasted all that time and had it not been under warranty they would have charged for a replacement PTS Module that was not needed in the first place. They kept the car for three days for what was only a simple 5/10Mins recoding/activation of PTS by Star.

My experience of my local back street garage mechanic is fantastic. I supply the parts ie mobil 1, filters ,brake pads and discs and brake fluid all purchased from Jimmy at trade prices. My labour bill came to £170 and that included a decent valet which I did not ask for.
Then again I have no problems with having to buy expensive rubber stamps for warranties as my motor is 12 years old :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom