£50 (+VAT) to change a battery!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
blassberg said:
obviously with batteries you can be overcharged....

Shocking..... Or perhaps re volting.

The battery certainly done very well to last twelve years. My Sprinter has had a new battery at just under three years (free under the warranty) and the E-class had one at just over twelve months again free, but hopefully the next one will last longer :rolleyes:

The problem with owning a newer Mercedes is that you have to reset some of the many electronic options. This is quite easy, but as the saying goes.... It is only easy if you know how!!! :)

I have had experience of other marques refusing to replace batteries under warranty as they describe them as consumables, still never let the truth spoil a good story ;)

Regards,
John

BTB 500 said:
My M-B main dealer didn't charge any labour for fitting a new electric aerial while my car was in there being serviced :)

Bill, Which dealer do you use ?
thanks,

Simon

Seamster15 said:
Bill, Which dealer do you use ?
thanks,

Simon

Tony Purslow, Guildford. I had one bad experience with them where they tried to get me to pay for a replacement battery on my SL despite it being under full Tier 1 M-B warranty (the team leader in question doesn't seem to be there any more), but they've been great since.

Changing batteries

For those who want to replace their own batteries, here is the procedure:

Electronics-laden cars - go to an expert

Old mechanical cars (W124, etc):

* note down the radio code (you do know your code - don't you?)
* remove the earth connection from the battery
* remove the live connection from the battery
* remove old battery, fit new
* check battery is the right way round
* tighten clamp & make sure battery is secure
* refit live connection
* refit earth

If you think about what happens when a spanner attached to a battery terminal touches the bodywork you'll appreciate the order of terminal fitting

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom