£500 car suggestions & Auto box checking advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
Q1. Checking a gearbox... How do you check an auto box on a cheap car?

The missus has just sold her car, decided to pocket the cash and used the Jedi mind trick to convince me that the CLK should sit on the drive for her use (keeping mileage down) and I should spend about £500 to £800 on a banger for commuting for about 6 months before I buy her a new car!!!! :crazy:

Q2. Any car suggestions? The 'banger' must have a air con (working), room for two mountain bikes in the boot (ideally estate or hatchback) and have an auto box. I'd like the car to return a decent turn of speed and give mpg above 25/30. It also needs to be a comfortable place to be in motorway traffic.

List so far:

Ford Mondeo 2.0 or 2.5 Ghia auto - £600 (with all the toys)
Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD or 2.5 V6 Auto - £800
Peugeot 406 2.0 petrol or diesel - £700

If anyone has experience of the last two or any other suggestions please let me know.

thanks guys

Last edited:
I have a client who ran 406s for several years. They were diesel estates, but manual.

I had a 406 coupe myself for a bit.

I loved the coupe, and it was very comfortable, but the 2.0 petrol engine wasn't exactly a firebreather. I once drove it from Toulouse to Saintes on cruise control and averaged 104mph :)eek: ) and 28mpg.

The estates were regularly criticsized for having uncomfortable seats. They're typically French. Reliability was good, though.

I have a client who ran 406s for several years. They were diesel estates, but manual.

I had a 406 coupe myself for a bit.

I loved the coupe, and it was very comfortable, but the 2.0 petrol engine wasn't exactly a firebreather. I once drove it from Toulouse to Saintes on cruise control and averaged 104mph :)eek: ) and 28mpg.

The estates were regularly criticsized for having uncomfortable seats. They're typically French. Reliability was good, though.

Thanks, the coupe is a real stunner and I would have loved to have owned one and came very close to buying one a few years back. Future classic me thinks!

As for the the 406 Estate I'm very tempted and I'm sure the 2.0 would do for travelling around the M25 and down the A3 to Guildford 3 times a week.

I would get a 3.0 V6 but I bet it would be harder to shift 6 months later.

I certainly loved my coupe. I only sold it because it was depreciating so fast :(

The Omega 2.5TD ENGINE is from BMW if that helps? It requires regular 5/6,000 mile oil changes to avoid problems according to Honest John. I'm guessing here but Fords and Peugeots of that vintage may share basically the same peugeot designed diesel engines which have a good rep if the cam belts are changed at the required intervals. I would go for the PEUGEOT if you can find a clean one.

edit:- almost forgot the autogearbox thing:- you are looking for clean changes up and down the box, no strange noises,plenty clean looking fluid on the dipstick -no "dark colour or burnt smell" and a reasonably quick "take up" when changing into forward drive from neutral and like wise into reverse.

Last edited:
I certainly loved my coupe. I only sold it because it was depreciating so fast :(

If I had the space and the cash I would be very tempted to by a decent low mileage V6 manual (later 210bhp model) car for a coupe of grand and keep it in storage. Stick an eqally cheap Alfa GTV spider in there to keep it company and I'm sure they'd make lovely classics oneday.

At risk of going OT, I think I'm the only person who finds those Alfas really unattractive.

But I agree on the coupe ;)

The Omega 2.5TD ENGINE is from BMW if that helps?

Thats one of the reason why I'm considering it. Its also not a bad looking car for under £1000.

edit:- almost forgot the autogearbox thing:- you are looking for clean changes up and down the box, no strange noises,plenty clean looking fluid on the dipstick -no "dark colour or burnt smell" and a reasonably quick "take up" when changing into forward drive from neutral and like wise into reverse.

Do I need to do some kind of test from stand still similar to that of a clutch test (e.g do something or other whilst foot firmly on brake!!) ?

Q1. Checking a gearbox... How do you check an auto box on a cheap car?

The missus has just sold her car, decided to pocket the cash and used the Jedi mind trick to convince me that the CLK should sit on the drive for her use (keeping mileage down) and I should spend about £500 to £800 on a banger for commuting for about 6 months before I buy her a new car!!!! :crazy:

Q2. Any car suggestions? The 'banger' must have a air con (working), room for two mountain bikes in the boot (ideally estate or hatchback) and have an auto box. I'd like the car to return a decent turn of speed and give mpg above 25/30. It also needs to be a comfortable place to be in motorway traffic.

List so far:

Ford Mondeo 2.0 or 2.5 Ghia auto - £600 (with all the toys)
Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD or 2.5 V6 Auto - £800
Peugeot 406 2.0 petrol or diesel - £700

If anyone has experience of the last two or any other suggestions please let me know.

thanks guys

How about something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-C200...oryZ9855QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Incidentally, in answer to your first question (which I completely missed :eek: ), you're looking for smooth changes, quick and jerk-free kick-down, no unseemly noises when revved in P and, if you can get to the oil, a nice clean colour.

Also drive the car gently, and ensure it changes up through all the gears at the right time (there's often a mark on the speedo showing where each gear should arrive). Then try hard acceleration to make sure it redlines in each gear.

PJ

PS: Grober cheated and got in there before me :)

A stall test is done by foot on the brake,in D and the revs should not go over 2k. only do this for 20sec max.

This will tell you the condition of the torque converter

Don't get a Mondeo; they're rubbish

Ouch, that hurt :D ;)

The Mondeo I owned back in 2002 is still going strong with my father-in-law at the helm. Its on its way to 190,000 miles and has never broken down once, starts immediately every time, ticks over beautifully and the steering and gear change is as smooth as ever. :bannana:

My extensive experience with the blue oval has been very good but I don't doubt that there are a ton of dogs out there!!! :crazy:

My brother tried to sell me his 3.0 406 coupe before I bought the CE - great looking car apart from the interior, which whilst leathery and full of gadgets (most of which worked), looked very cheap and ordinary. It went like stink.

My Dad's Omega is looking like a great buy but is about double your budget.

Something japanese would probably be your best bet, old Honda?

Ade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom