£5000 to spend - W210 E55 or W211 E500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
Thoughts on pros/cons of a facelift w210 E55 or a W211 E500 on a £5k budget.............

I've previously had an E55 - but wonder if any of you have owned both and have thoughts.

I guess W211 E500 is a little more modern..........performance is similar (?)

Any input appreciated

A W211 E500 is no way as lively as a W210 E55
210 all the way for me!!! The torque curve of the AMG feels much more powerful. And IMHO the 210 is a tougher built car
That is of course if it lasts long enough for the body not to fall off!!!!!!

ive looked at quite a few 210's and tbh i didnt come across a decent bodied one, that and the spring pearch issue put me off,

Im deffo going w211

I think the 210, body rust aside, is better built. For example the spare wheel locker mech is plastic on the 211 and steel on the 210. But they are rustbuckets. My mrs has a t reg 210 300d.

As much I prefer the W211, you have to bear in mind a potential big cost of the SBC (clever ABS basically) pump failing.

This will probably cost between £1000 > £1500.

Also you have potential airmatic issues which can be expensive.

I'd still rather have a W211, which I do(!), but I am prepared for those eventualities should they arise within my ownership.

Also, I think if you are considering a W210 E55 and W211 E500, you should stretch your budget to a W211 E55. You are basically running one with a W211 E500 but with a lot less power. What I mean by that is many of the parts cost the same to replace and servicing is similar for those two W211 models. It's only when AMG stuff goes wrong but it is well made - especially the engine and gearbox.

If we would think what may go wrong with the car we would end up walking
Go with your guts and enjoy

As much I prefer the W211, you have to bear in mind a potential big cost of the SBC (clever ABS basically) pump failing.

This will probably cost between £1000 > £1500.

Also you have potential airmatic issues which can be expensive.

I'd still rather have a W211, which I do(!), but I am prepared for those eventualities should they arise within my ownership.

Also, I think if you are considering a W210 E55 and W211 E500, you should stretch your budget to a W211 E55. You are basically running one with a W211 E500 but with a lot less power. What I mean by that is many of the parts cost the same to replace and servicing is similar for those two W211 models. It's only when AMG stuff goes wrong but it is well made - especially the engine and gearbox.

I'd echo everything said in this post.

I'd also try and find/borrow/save the extra needed to fund a W211 E55. They are on a different planet to the E500 performance wise.

Would love the W211 E55 - but it would be a while until I could stretch budget that far!

I was interested in build quality on the W211

I know 210's rust as I've had a few (including an E55) - but was always pretty impressed with overall quality.

Might have to try and hunt down an as free from rust facelift W210 E55 as I can find for that money!

I thought all the W210s are rust buckets... Excellent build but poor on the rust issue.

My father still got his W210 E280 from new... Just the rust issue, otherwise the car is in mint condition.

My father still got his W210 E280 from new... Just the rust issue, otherwise the car is in mint condition.

I sold my W210 E280 yesterday and both front arches had rust. A very poor period in Mercedes quality.

Having been to Italy, they all seem rusty over there too, maybe in Nevada or Arizona they can stay rust free.

Have you suffered with the same on your W220 - because they're pretty bad too I understand?

Mine is a December 2003 so is galvanised and doesn't have a spot on it yet.
Sold my 209 just as the rear arches started bubbling.

W210 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, never seen one that didn't have rust some where on them unless it had been sorted before hand.

Tricky question to answer given your budget. If you want an AMG, you should get a cracking W210 for that, or a doggy W211. More to go (expensively) wrong on the W211, but more go as well. Personally, I'd go for a W210 unless you want the extra urge, and if so, I'd not be in any rush to buy, and quite apart from the usual checks on history and so on, go over any potential purchase VERY carefully looking for rust. If you're a genuine buyer considering paying top dollar, I can't see an honest seller objecting to you putting the car up on the ramp (at a local indy, ideally) to check the underside; I wouldn't mind if I were selling.

Yes, there are some reasonably uncorroded W210s around; mine has had doors and tailgate resprayed, and the front suspension crossmember isn't too brilliant, but the underside is pretty sound.

Tricky question to answer given your budget. If you want an AMG, you should get a cracking W210 for that, or a doggy W211. More to go (expensively) wrong on the W211, but more go as well. Personally, I'd go for a W210 unless you want the extra urge, and if so, I'd not be in any rush to buy, and quite apart from the usual checks on history and so on, go over any potential purchase VERY carefully looking for rust. If you're a genuine buyer considering paying top dollar, I can't see an honest seller objecting to you putting the car up on the ramp (at a local indy, ideally) to check the underside; I wouldn't mind if I were selling.

Yes, there are some reasonably uncorroded W210s around; mine has had doors and tailgate resprayed, and the front suspension crossmember isn't too brilliant, but the underside is pretty sound.

Thanks. Had an E55 before (W210) - but it was crashed by the garage who were servicing it and it nver felt the same afterwards so sold it!

So, I was wondering whether to get another (and I do love them) - or if the newer W211 E500 was a better car as technology has moved on a bit.

Still have mixed feelings really as there are clearly fans of both :) so not making decision any easier...........might be down to the toss of a coin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom