£5k investment for the future.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twinstar

Car
2004 cl55 amg komp, 27k, 2000 clk 320 cab, 2002 f150 harley pickup, 2011 overfinch range rover
Ok so in these dark pandemic days and the uncertain future of our cause with elvs looking to take over our lives, is it worth investing right now in future classics? If you had £5000 to invest what would you buy?

I would probably have a punt at a r53 mini Cooper s jcw with all the relevant documents (no work required) or an austin 7, £5k isnt really alot to play with

Tricky, that one.

Unlike the stock market, investing in future classics involves buying a car that you like to own, and that would hopefully also appreciate over time....

I would rule-out AMGs... any £5k example will be knackered :D

This, perhaps? Especially the 500, if you can stomach the road tax.

Screenshot-20210222-234742-Chrome.jpg

I would probably have a punt at a r53 mini Cooper s jcw with all the relevant documents (no work required) or an austin 7, £5k isnt really alot to play with
Ive got one of those, not a jcw but a cab, its hard to judge these days, if you look back at what you have owned in the past, capri 280, e30 m3, cosworth sierras, etc. They cost peanuts back then, who could have seen what the future would bring!

That's a tough one, the R53 JCW is a cracking car, problem is it's quite common I think? It's the rarer ones that appreciate best (but not those that were rare for a reason - I.e. because it was sh!te.... :D ) . Cabs are the best candidates for future classics, IMO.

I meant this kind of cab:

SSK_2.jpg

Not this:

Screenshot-20210223-001906-Chrome.jpg

:D

I wish I could buy this back

Attachments

• IMG-20210223-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210223-WA0000.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 28
Cars are not an investment , especially at 5000GBP. They may go up in value over time. but the upkeep costs will far outstrip the money that you'll make on it. If it' something that you want and will enjoy. Go for it. But not for investment

A solid 2003 SL500 in an interesting colour.

A bit of amusement with a bit on upside over the next decade.

A47A418C-37AB-4FB8-A1F8-21BF3AB36E06.jpeg

"No, but seriously..." I bought a R107 300SL in 2011 for £9k and sold it a year later at a profit. Today it would be worth £30k-£40k and would not have needed anything like £20k spent on it in the meantime.

Also a 190E (Sportline with cruise) in great nick for £850 in 2005. Sold for £600 in 2008 and would be £4-£5k today.

So the OP's question is perfectly valid. It's all about spotting the future classics. I think the C209 CLK is a good starting point.

Last edited:
If you are going to buy something and keep it for a few years you will have repair and ongoing costs , tax , insurance , storage etc . It would need to appreciate a fair bit to overcome that lot .
Can’t see you making much , getting your money back would be a result ?

Pfizer shares?
Absolutely not.

Big pharma makes money out of ulcer meds not global vaccination with contracts effectively at cost.

There's big money in Big Pharma, but nowt to do with the current shenanigans. (With the exception of Modena, which got lucky)

For a safe solid 20 % p.a. go Microsoft, Philip Morris, or L'Oreal..... "Because you're worth it. (Cough)"

Last edited:
There are some older classics that seem overlooked. E.g. Reliant Scimitar, starting at £5k (admittedly more for a really good one). Why so much cheaper than the Capri that it shares an engine with?

692C432B-FFF3-46CB-9129-74D651BCE33C.jpeg

Or here’s another oldie that seems cheap, often around £5k, but will get more rare and prices should surely rise. Also these cost peanuts to own and run, and easy to do your own work on if you like.
2EF9981D-8D21-457F-AF57-5F4C9FDB54B7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom