£5k limit - which S-Class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yes it was that one - they gave me three months warranty too!

I live about 5 minutes walk from that dealer:)

I'll take a look at it if you like. Only be another Merc owner looking mind and not a professional/mechanic.

Congratulations.

s280

hi guys, just been reading this thread. i have been looking at an s280 1996 p reg with 106000 on the clock as a possible replacement for my e280 w124. the one i looked at earlier has an intermittent problem selecting gear when warm (its ok when cold) ,is this likely to be as simple as low atf or could it be serious,if so would the box from my w124 e280 be the same by any chance. thanks. p.s. being a new member i didnt know mark but my condolences to all who did.

hi guys, just been reading this thread. i have been looking at an s280 1996 p reg with 106000 on the clock as a possible replacement for my e280 w124. the one i looked at earlier has an intermittent problem selecting gear when warm (its ok when cold) ,is this likely to be as simple as low atf or could it be serious,if so would the box from my w124 e280 be the same by any chance. thanks. p.s. being a new member i didnt know mark but my condolences to all who did.

If i was you, id walk away and find another S class. I have a 97 320 and had gearbox probs at about 100K - cost over a grand to sort it out!

Is there something particularly frail about the W140 gearboxes?

I've noticed quite a lot of them on EBay with broken gearboxes and have read quite a few posts about gearbox problems.

In comparison I can't remember when I last read a post or saw a W126 for sale with gearbox problems.

I've noticed quite a lot of them on EBay with broken gearboxes and have read quite a few posts about gearbox problems.

In comparison I can't remember when I last read a post or saw a W126 for sale with gearbox problems.

They're old cars, so gearbox faliure is a more of a risk, not that common though, w126s tend to just get scrapped when their gearboxes go, so less are advertised.

Not especially, they need care when they get older but they aren't prone to complete failure. the 5 speed Audi box of the same era is dreadful for this but the BMW and Mercedes automatic gearboxes seem to be rather good as long as they have the ATF changed somewhat regulary.

I just returned from Poole with my lovely 'new' 1993 S500 and WOW - what a machine this is. It's in tremendous condition. I cannot see myself getting rid of it for a long time if it remains reliable. I still cannot believe what £2250 has bought me!!!
I'll put up some pictures once I've had a play with it.
Last few hours of the 200TE estate on ebay selling to make space for the S500.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-MERCEDES...ewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item1c0fdaab7e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom