£60 fine for 5 seconds in a bus lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
As the title suggests, I received a penalty charge notice (with photographs) of me cutting the end of the bus lane to take the left turn road. No buses anywhere, no chance of holding one up, but the photo shows I was in the lane for 5 seconds. I imagine there's no point in contesting it, but that was an expensive 5 second lesson. Here's my letter:

------------------
Dear **** Turpin,

Please find enclosed the princely some of £60 (monthly salary of the camera operator) in part payment for your poorly maintained roads. 5 seconds in your bus lane was indeed a bargain. Glad I had the car clean too, it looks great in the photo.

-------------------

This is what I contributed to his salary for....

1.JPG

I guess the corsa turning right and the car going in the opposite direction is NOT in the boxes...... bet they didnt even get booked... especially that Zafira or Meriva or whatever it is!!!

I expect the Corsa is turning right, in which case it is lawful to wait in a yellow box if your exit is blocked or you're prevented from turning by oncoming traffic. I have no idea what the Meriva thing is doing though :confused:

Is that a signal controlled junction? What's the sequence/layout?

I expect the Corsa is turning right, in which case it is lawful to wait in a yellow box if your exit is blocked or you're prevented from turning by oncoming traffic. I have no idea what the Meriva thing is doing though :confused:

Is that a signal controlled junction? What's the sequence/layout?

Sorry to hear about that. I was in a similar near missed on two Sats driving back to A13 from Euston via King's Cross. Normally I go on a Sundays but due to the weather I went on Sats, lucky I missed the cameras. I pay particular attention on the operating hours of bus lane and the cameras when I approached bus lanes.

Driving along A23 toward Brighton it OK to use bus lanes on Suns but then on approaching Croydon, it disallowed.

How did you managed to get the pics so quickly?

I think you will find the Zafira is moving, hence the Corsa is waiting (legitimately).

The BMW driver has committed an offence of blocking the box junction. I can't see what the issue is.

I think you will find the Zafira is moving, hence the Corsa is waiting (legitimately).

The BMW driver has committed an offence of blocking the box junction. I can't see what the issue is.

I know what you mean, and the same is true of my situation. His bum is sitting on the box junction, but not actually blocking that corsa from turning. It's the 'rules is rules' culture, punishing people for the slightest of breaches... in my case, 5 seconds. The over zealous, inflexible and extortionate repercussions are what's making people resent the local authorities of this country. Bin lids not closed properly, a child dropping part of a sausage roll, 5 SECONDS in a bus lane. Come on, let's get some perspective.

It's the over reliance on IT that's fuelling this. Without fuzzy logic computers can't make the value judgements that people are calling for in these cases.

Of course, when we did have the fuzzy logic of human beings applied in these cases the argument was that the application of the law was inconsistent, with one copper prosecuting for an offence and another letting you off with a warning. <Sigh>

5 SECONDS in a bus lane. Come on, let's get some perspective.

But then the next car takes 5 seconds, and the next..and so on...
in addition your five seconds might be 30 seconds to someone else..

For there to be a camers there there must be pretty flagrant abuses of the rules.

If you had been seen by a Policeman they would also have fined you as it's a pretty clear breach of the clearly visible rules.

We have to have rules otherwise the place will fall into anarchy.

Hi

The pic we are looking at is from Whizkid11 not Gucci, his offence sounds less serious. Are you all thinking this is Gucci's pic??

Puzzled

Definately not mine - mine is of a lone ML selfishly causing no hold ups to no buses not in the empty lane to which I selfishly crossed for 5 seconds.

It's the over reliance on IT that's fuelling this. Without fuzzy logic computers can't make the value judgements that people are calling for in these cases.

Of course, when we did have the fuzzy logic of human beings applied in these cases the argument was that the application of the law was inconsistent, with one copper prosecuting for an offence and another letting you off with a warning. <Sigh>

The images are controlled and recordings taken by a human which is then viewed by a different human who decides it's a contravention or not. Then owner details are established from DVLA and a postal Notice to Owner/PCN arrives within a few days

The images are controlled and recordings taken by a human which is then viewed by a different human who decides it's a contravention or not. Then owner details are established from DVLA and a postal Notice to Owner/PCN arrives within a few days

A human being may look at them to decide if an offence has been committed but I'm pretty sure the pictures are taken automatically.

In any event, my premise is the same, technology is used to capture the offence and that automatically leads to the reliance on technology instead of the presence of a human being on the street, bobbies on the beat and all that.

In any event, my premise is the same, technology is used to capture the offence and that automatically leads to the reliance on technology instead of the presence of a human being on the street, bobbies on the beat and all that.

And what's the problem with that, it loads cheaper and more effective for simple cases such as traffic law violations.

And what's the problem with that, it loads cheaper and more effective for simple cases such as traffic law violations.

I didn't say I have a problem with it. There are flaws in both systems, as I tried to point out in my first post. We live in an imperfect world and I wouldn't have it any other way. :cool:

A human being may look at them to decide if an offence has been committed but I'm pretty sure the pictures are taken automatically.

The cameras are controlled manually - you wouldn't get the close up of the VRM otherwise. I've seen it in action, at the control room in Camden for that particular authority

The cameras are controlled manually - you wouldn't get the close up of the VRM otherwise. I've seen it in action, at the control room in Camden for that particular authority

Wahtever, it's still technology. <bored now>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom