£60

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Headhurts

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes GLC
So l local man owes me £60 and despite two recorded letters I am being ignored.
He is quite a wealthy man, far wealthier than I, £60 is not much I guess but it does bug me but not sure if enough for me to take it further and would any further action by myself be worthwhile?
Tempted to just let it go but I am sure some of you would have been in a similar situation.
What to do?
I could end up on that programme something like 'The Sheriffs Are Coming'
Just for discussion really.

I'd say it wasn't financially viable to pursue £60.

Any chance that you could embarrass it out him? Loud request for the debt to be repaid in the local pub maybe?

What is the debt for and can it be proven?

Why has he not paid?

Contact Thomas Higgins Partnership. Had excellent service from them and have always been paid. Initial warning letter cost is just £2 plus vat.

If he owes you....chase it out of principle.

How much is your time worth? I'm what they call "time rich" so I enjoy chasing stuff like this just for devilment. I wouldn't be adverse to risking £80 in the small calims court to win back £60(+£80) but that's 'cos I'm a sad act.

If chasing the debtor will take up time that you could spend getting a better deal on your car insurance or any other better use of your time, then chalk it up to experience and move on.

You say he is a wealthy man...so why did he need to borrow £60 from you?

In the most non violent or threatening way possible, I'd buy £60 worth of fresh horse ***t and dump it around his front and rear door. Another £60 down but he'll spend more time shovelling it all up :devil:

I'm owed £260 by a guy who drives an Aston Martin, lives less than half a mile from Sir Alex Ferguson and his house is £1.5m+. He's had more dissolved companies than Alka Saltzer.
After months of telephone calls and emails, I actually eyeballed him in a large queue in the local Sainsbury's (which contained a couple of policemen buying their lunch :D) and asked why he hadn't paid his bill and he went blood red with embarrassment and said he had paid. I dressed him down big style and told him to get the bill paid.

I called him a couple of weeks later and he said he wasn't going to pay because I had p!ssed him off by embarrassing him in front of those in the queue! He then put down the phone.
I had been chasing him for about four or five months at that point, so I gave up. I do keep an eye on his company financials, though and they seem to be sliding somewhat.

I also have another shister who I knew as a child who owes me a similar amount. Bumped into him on numerous occasions and asked for the money and got all sorts of excuses. Did a search on him and he is now bankrupt.

Some people are serial non-payers and the introduction of a mobile chip and pin machine was the best move I ever made. It's all but inescapable.

I lost around £10,000 between 3 customer's of mine that went under, Total shister's One of them stuffed most of the 4k he owed me up his nose then he went bankrupt.

How these people sleep knowing they owe money in a small town live with themselves is beyond me.

social media is your best bet won't get your money but a lot of people will find out what an **** he is

After being knocked for £250K (by a govt funded company building for the 2012 Olympics), losing my business and house and going bankrupt I vowed never to give a credit line again unless they were water tight.

I've said no to a lot of businesses and individuals since then and watched other people get knocked by the same people.

It's a lesson hard learned that has served me well. I won't make the same mistake again.

£60 is a cheap lesson.

Not in the same magnitude as Red C220, I lost £7,000 in salary/compensation when my employer went into administration and about £60,000 in a joint venture that went pear shaped.

£60 is annoying and it is the principle that matters the most, he should repay, but in the grand scheme of things there are probably bigger battles. You win some, you lose some.

Cripes. Sixty quid. As others have said. Cheap lesson. Move on. Fretting about what others owe you is injurious to health. Accept it as a risk of life. Determine not to knowingly do it to others yourself, enjoy the moment on the high ground and move on.

Move on and don't deal with him again. Hold your head high and pop your head on your pillow at night safe in the knowledge you can live with yourself & your actions.

Let him worry about spending his life looking over his shoulder. Litigation is barely ever worth it. The solicitors are the only ones that win. Especially for £60. If you can spend less time to earn another £60 or more then that is a better use of your time.

I understand principles but don't throw good money after bad. It could end up worse & will eat you up even more. Stress & worry is a modern and new silent killer in my mind. Wasn't it Bobby McFerrin that sang 'Don't worry, be happy'? I think he may be dead now but he had the right idea.

I am owed £20k+ by one struggling company at mo, a collective load from others who take ages to pay their bills. I brought in 2 new Directors to my 1st business a while back & been dealing with one of them & his wife for the last year! It is all hassle & grief all because people don't pay what they owe. The law doesn't protect you often & crooks often don't get their comeuppance.

I've had bad debts & issues in business the same as most over the years. It makes you harder, stronger, tougher and the experience hopefully helps in the future. Chalk it down to experience & try to protect yourself from something like this happening again in the future.

However I'm a big believer in fate & karma. He will get his comeuppance at some point! You reap what you sow and all that.

After being knocked for £250K (by a govt funded company building for the 2012 Olympics), losing my business and house and going bankrupt I vowed never to give a credit line again unless they were water tight.

I've said no to a lot of businesses and individuals since then and watched other people get knocked by the same people.

It's a lesson hard learned that has served me well. I won't make the same mistake again.

£60 is a cheap lesson.
Sorry to hear that Red C220 & have unfortunately heard many more similar stories over the years. Luckily I have never exposed myself to enough level of risk that I would lose everything. It must have been hard for you and I don't envy you going through that.

My businesses are small but one has been on the edge a few times due to others not paying their bills. I have always paid people when I said I would & never knocked anyone who didn't deserve it or didn't provide what they said they would.

I tend to keep things tight, small & not go too bananas these days. Would never put my family home up for collateral or risk anything I couldn't afford to lose. The risk to reward is too great in my book if it all went wrong. I'm not risk adverse but am not a blind gambler. Most decisions are well researched and calculated. Some though is pure gut feeling & that is something that can't be taught.

I've had bad debts & issues in business the same as most over the years. It makes you harder, stronger, tougher and the experience hopefully helps in the future. Chalk it down to experience & try to protect yourself from something like this happening again in the future.

Rockits is on the right lines with this. With a bit of experience it's relatively easy to figure out who needs credit facilities because they are crap with money or serial "knockers" and those who need a facility because it's simply easier to administer (for both parties).

The skill is figuring out which is which. The easiest way to do that is often to say no and the ones that you can give credit to often continue to do business with you. You can then revisit terms at a later more convenient time.

Then there's an entirely different level of credit line which I refer to as "Tesco syndrome" which I choose not get involved with despite the enormous carrots that are often dangled in front of you. These are potential life wreckers, but also potential gold mines if they go right.

With all that said and done my current business has two "Tesco syndrome" accounts but both have proved quite reliable after two years.

As a rule of thumb if a company calls us that has never done business with us and asks for an account, the answer is no. We like to build up a rapport, in an old fashioned bank manager style, which worked so very well for decades.

So l local man owes me £60 and despite two recorded letters I am being ignored.
He is quite a wealthy man, far wealthier than I, £60 is not much I guess but it does bug me but not sure if enough for me to take it further and would any further action by myself be worthwhile?
Tempted to just let it go but I am sure some of you would have been in a similar situation.
What to do?
I could end up on that programme something like 'The Sheriffs Are Coming'
Just for discussion really.

I know Dave carter from the sheriffs office, he owns it. If you need help ;)

I'd say it wasn't financially viable to pursue £60.

Any chance that you could embarrass it out him? Loud request for the debt to be repaid in the local pub maybe?

This. Waste of time it's £60 let it be a lesson not to lend money.

Pay a local scrote a tenner to put a sh!t covered brick through his window. :thumb:

Don't worry I've already said "Oh dear" on behalf of lewyboy.. :rolleyes:

Pay a local scrote a tenner to put a sh!t covered brick through his window. :thumb:

Don't worry I've already said "Oh dear" on behalf of lewyboy.. :rolleyes:

Good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom