£60

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is the debt for and can it be proven?

Why has he not paid?

It's a years subscription to a club but the person concerned sold the venue before the year was up and offered when under pressure to refund the lost months. He is apparently known for being a bit slippery but I have no proof but when you pay your fees he was offering a discount for cash, I opted to pay by cheque.

How much is your time worth? I'm what they call "time rich" so I enjoy chasing stuff like this just for devilment. I wouldn't be adverse to risking £80 in the small calims court to win back £60(+£80) but that's 'cos I'm a sad act.

If chasing the debtor will take up time that you could spend getting a better deal on your car insurance or any other better use of your time, then chalk it up to experience and move on.

Plenty of time I'm retired but mulling over whether it would annoy me more to chase the money, tbh when I retired I decided to eliminate everything I can that annoys me so I can enjoy myself. Of course outside influences often conspire against this.

I'm owed £260 by a guy who drives an Aston Martin, lives less than half a mile from Sir Alex Ferguson and his house is £1.5m+. He's had more dissolved companies than Alka Saltzer.
After months of telephone calls and emails, I actually eyeballed him in a large queue in the local Sainsbury's (which contained a couple of policemen buying their lunch :D) and asked why he hadn't paid his bill and he went blood red with embarrassment and said he had paid. I dressed him down big style and told him to get the bill paid.

I called him a couple of weeks later and he said he wasn't going to pay because I had p!ssed him off by embarrassing him in front of those in the queue! He then put down the phone.
I had been chasing him for about four or five months at that point, so I gave up. I do keep an eye on his company financials, though and they seem to be sliding somewhat.

I also have another shister who I knew as a child who owes me a similar amount. Bumped into him on numerous occasions and asked for the money and got all sorts of excuses. Did a search on him and he is now bankrupt.

Some people are serial non-payers and the introduction of a mobile chip and pin machine was the best move I ever made. It's all but inescapable.

Strange how some people are I hate owing money and should I ever be unlucky enough to be in that position I would have to be honest with whoever I owed Money to and make appropriate arrangements.

After being knocked for £250K (by a govt funded company building for the 2012 Olympics), losing my business and house and going bankrupt I vowed never to give a credit line again unless they were water tight.

I've said no to a lot of businesses and individuals since then and watched other people get knocked by the same people.

It's a lesson hard learned that has served me well. I won't make the same mistake again.

£60 is a cheap lesson.

Yup your loss puts mine into perspective, I am not desperate for £60 it's more an annoyance how some people with plenty of money treat others.

I would have the last chuckle on this one . You will need just three pints of the best fishing maggots that you can get from the angling shop .Then put them in to a tube .Empty the tube in to the nice mans letterbox. Have you seen like 10000 blue bottles on the wing ha ha .

That is why I pay my bills! Is it worth the risk of someone doing something a little churlish like this? Not really. I wouldn't do it myself but can see how/why it happens. However do unto others....

Do this though and you could be opening a big can of worms! Sorry...couldn't resist!!

Do nothing and move on and don't let it consume your life , annoying yes but not the end of the world.

In my spare time I make stainless / alloy parts for motorbikes and have been stung a few times by customers who have said the parts have not been received and therefore they haven't paid , even though on their bike forum they have posted up a pic of their bike WITH the parts fitted all be it a few months later as they seem to think that I had forgotten about the fact that they have done me over :fail

Everything now goes "signed for" at the buyers expense which it makes it more expensive for all and surprisingly nothing has gone "missing" recently.

Kenny

He is apparently known for being a bit slippery but I have no proof...

You have now.

Chalk it down as a cheap experience. In all honestly if someone is willing to blacken their name for such a minor sum it's nearly worth your loss even if it's the principle that counts in such a matter. Also, be snug with the fact it wasn't a much larger sum.

Anyway, boyo will get his comeuppance sooner or later.

I would have the last chuckle on this one . You will need just three pints of the best fishing maggots that you can get from the angling shop .Then put them in to a tube .Empty the tube in to the nice mans letterbox. Have you seen like 10000 blue bottles on the wing ha ha .

This would be much more effective, if you knew he wasn't going to be in the house for a few days, plenty of time to hatch before they're just cleaned up.

If you have access to the online small claims court and can show the proof with any letters he sent you about a refund. You will win and get judgement, if he is that rich he may not even answer the writ from the court and you win by default. I have done this with ebuyer.com and garmin.com when they didn't respond to emails and letters within a time frame I gave them. You can add interest and costs for contact him to the claim. So you may be able to get more than your initial £60

If you have access to the online small claims court and can show the proof with any letters he sent you about a refund. You will win and get judgement, if he is that rich he may not even answer the writ from the court and you win by default. I have done this with ebuyer.com and garmin.com when they didn't respond to emails and letters within a time frame I gave them. You can add interest and costs for contact him to the claim. So you may be able to get more than your initial £60

Been there, done that. What you get is a judgement, you don't necessarily get paid.
So it's back to court to pay another fee & get the bailiffs in. The money I was owed was outstanding rent and I'd been given every excuse in the book and multiple promises of "I'll make a payment next week"
Knowing that the bailiffs wouldn't get a few grand out of him I went for an attachment of earnings. He gave up his job rather than pay, then moved so I couldn't easily track him down again.
No doubt he's shafting someone else now.

Although it is unthinkable ever to dream of suggesting it even in jest, no country was ever given away and anybody who believes that violence isn't the answer never got a punch on the nose!

A builder friend of mine was owed £5000 by a wealthy family. Despite numerous invoices having been sent, no payment was forthcoming. I suggested to my friend to send a bill for £10000 and if they phoned, to say you would call immediately. To cut a long story short, as soon as the inflated bill arrived, the wealthy family phoned to dispute it. Friend called with them and they paid what they owed.

You are correct and I have gone down this route and won but it is quite stressful, I think I may well mark this one down to experience and move on but I do thank everyone for their replies.
Sometimes just sounding off on these forums does help and there is a wealth of experience to draw from.
When I see the losses some of you have experienced it puts everything into perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom