£6500 to spend - What to get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drewster

Hi All

I've got £6,500 to spend.

I'm after a C Class. I have a few questions to ask.

What is generally regarded as the best way to look at buying.

eg - 2003 C270 CDI Elegance with say 65k on the clock
or - 2004(facelift) C180K Elegance with 45k on the clock, when both are around the same price/spec.

I guess what I'm asking is do you generally go for a better engine in an slightly older car, or vice versa. I know this is probably down to personal pref but I'd like to get some feedback.

I only cover about 6000 miles a year.

Finally, with the 2004 C Class facelift, I'm a bit confused.
I'm looking around the usual car buying sites, I've seen 04 models with the upgraded interior and 05 models without. I think I prefer the facelift model, but I'm finding it hard to search on because of the conflicting results I'm getting back. When was the facelift model put in place?

I would be very interested e to know what you guys think is the best pound for pound model to go for.

Thanks
Drew

Last edited:
With your miles I'd be inclined to look for a petrol motor, and you'll get a facelifted car which is better.

Many here would say older car/larger engine but that may not suit all and with the 203 C class the facelifted cars are a whole heap better so this is what I'd aim for.

go for w124 convertible it will appreciate no end!!

or sl 600 sl 60 again loads of car for the money

the older models have mercedes quality legendary for decades

i am baised

When looking for a C-class coupe for my sister I was surprised how expensive they were compared to the CLK. So might a CLK be another option for you to consider?

edit: reading your post below, maybe a coupe is not what you're after. sorry.

Last edited:
go for w124 convertible it will appreciate no end!!

or sl 600 sl 60 again loads of car for the money

the older models have mercedes quality legendary for decades

i am baised

Beautiful Cars Dinoy - not sure what my 4 year old would think in the back with the roof down :D

When looking for a C-class coupe for my sister I was surprised how expensive they were compared to the CLK. So might a CLK be another option for you to consider?

Hi Wemorgan - I love the CLK, but it needs to house a 4 year old, 2 doors are not ideal sadly, as I probably would have gone for one.

my daughter who is 10 years old will only be driven in convertible i am sure if they are buckled in the back seat then it is ok or more than ok

alternative c-class diesel coupe they are sought after with panaromic roof

Lol...

Seriously, a c180k/200k saloon is just what the OP needs.

I cannot see any advantages to a coupe/3dr car unless the roof comes off. A facelifted C class 203 saloon is a class act which happens to be practical and fun to drive.

Or going by the vid a 500E or C43 amg, you can do some of the maintance yourself to offset the extra fuel consumption. The 500E is particularly advantageous in this regard and has the added advantage of being old enough to be insured as a classic car saving you money for petrol. Lol.

Last edited:
I thinkOP needs a Vel Satis :ban:. Change to spare :D

And I would have preferred that not to be at the top of the page!

Last edited:
I'd say a facelift W203 petrol would be the best route to pursue, mind you, having looked at autotrader, facelift cars within your budget are quite thin on the ground but with the mileage you aim to cover, you could buy a car with higher miles and by the time you are ready to sell it will be about average mileage-wise. Worth looking though! Good luck with your search.
I would also suggest having a quick look at W169 A-classes, they are surprisingly spacious, and I like them, there are a few within your budget, though I realise a lot of people aren't really A-class fans.

Last edited:
id go for something with a V6, at the moment personally i have had it up to to here with my CLK230k. a W203 C240 perhaps ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom